4 Replies - 283 Views - Last Post: 05 January 2013 - 09:25 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

My way around Visual Studio 2010

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

Ok, let me start off by apologizing if this is the wrong place for such a topic. Couldn't find anywhere more suitable for IDE question's since my language of choice is C++.

I'm working on a project of mine and part of it involves looking at some source files where I sometimes see nifty things but I'm not entirely sure how to implement them. So I figured I make a list out of the things I'm wondering about and see if this lovely forum combined with Google can answer stuff.

1) Creation of .cpp - Ok this is just a time saving feature. Was wondering if there was some kind of automated creation of the source file if I create the header? I mean declaring prototypes then just press some magical button and it'll create the proper functions and whatnot in a source file which I can then fill out.

2) Automated set/get functions. I know this possible, just cant remember it. (A quick google is going to answer it but thought I'll just mention it here as-well)

3) Some built in project control. Like lets say a button I can click that will take everything in the current solution and save it in my project folder named something like "projectName v1.1" then lets me continue with my current project. Or any other suggestions on how to do it automatic.

4) My project has one Server and Client part. At the moment they have their own solutions and I open two VS2010 each time. Could I just add either one to the other's solution and work on them like that? Do projects under the same solution interact with each other at all?

5) Is there some automatic way of inheriting from a class? I mean just saying that I want to make a class that inherits from my "Entity.h/cpp" class then VS2010 makes the class with my name and copies over all the purely virtual functions and whatnot that the inherited class has to provide its own deceleration for?

6) Is there "Hide" files in my solution explorer? I got alot of base classes that I'm done with which currently is making it harder and harder for me to find the right files in the solution explorer. Could I put them somewhere out of sight without having to modify my code any?

7) Any other tips/hints that help productivity would be most welcome!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: My way around Visual Studio 2010

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: My way around Visual Studio 2010

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

1 and 5) Right-click on your project -> add -> class -> add

2) See 7.

6) I think that the easiest way is to create filters and group classes that have similar purposes

7) Visual Assist is really great.

I've not had much experience with the other questions.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

I'm so ashamed about 1) and 5) now. Thanks alot!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

For #3, What you are looking for is essentially source control. You can use TFS (Team Foundation Server) or most other popular source control systems like SVN, Git, Mercurial, Perforce, etc. There are various plugins for Visual Studio for non-TFS source control systems. Whatever you do, avoid Visual Source Safe like the plague.

For #4, Yes, you can have the Server and Client projects in one solution. What you do is first create brand new C++ project which will create a solution with one project in it. Next right click on the solution in the Solution Explorer and add another project.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

Thank you alot! Hopefully this will speed things up.

Both of you have been most helpful!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1