4 Replies - 1551 Views - Last Post: 06 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

• Knows all, except most.

• View blog

Improving Communication Quality

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

I've noticed when comparing my posts on this forum to the expert's, despite often making the same point, do not not convey that message as effectively. In some cases I feel like I completely sent out the wrong message, and often find myself editing posts a lot as a result, if it's not too late to. I am a very introvert person and mostly keep to myself.

Outside of this forum, I really have no one to talk to, apart from one friend on Skype, and a Facebook message every couple weeks. For these, I speak casually, but try to maintain a correct form of writing. I have the same problem here too, I'll often correct myself after I have said something, if they haven't already responded. I think this is the reason I don't feel comfortable posting in the caffeine lounge, because it's like I don't have the ability to speak so freely, because I have never done so, or made jokes, or in 99%+ of cases, feel humor.

Maybe I'm just young and too inexperienced, because I find that I don't have 100% confidence in what I'm saying even if I understand the problem or topic at hand, and I end up hesitating when writing trying to make my post helpful, and if the style of writing of people in a thread is different to mine, I won't post at all.

However, I also feel that if I spend a long time writing my post to write a few statements, sort of like this one, although it comes out better, is wasting my time. It's taken me 43 minutes to write this whole post, as a test to myself also.

I'm asking this because I will be attending college in a month and I want to make sure I am communicating to a quality standard in any essays or reports I will have to write (though it is mostly practical work). I don't want to fall in any areas.

So that said, how can I improve on my communication standards? or is it only something I can improve by continuing to post here?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Improving Communication Quality

#2 Martyr2  Icon User is online

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Improving Communication Quality

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

Practice makes perfect. That combined with a bit of confidence in yourself, and what you are talking about, can go a long way.

First of all, we are not perfect here and a ton of us make mistakes in our writing. So you don't have to feel like every post is perfectly written to get your point across.

Second, just write what you want in the editor and then after all has been said, just quickly browse through it and clean up anything you think may not be what you wanted to say or write. But don't spend all day on it.

Lastly, take note of where you made a mistake, try to correct it for next time and improve one step at a time. In school you will be held accountable a bit more than here, but if you continue to post and practice writing you will see improvement that will translate into your other writing.

I think you just need to stop being hard on yourself and use forums like the caffeine lounge to chime in and have fun. Take a look at other people's posts and notice how they are riddled with errors. It is a forum to relax and chat. We are not expecting you to crank out literary masterpieces.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

Well I'll just have to take in and follow what you said, no way around it. I don't think I can change as a person, as much as I want to, but here is a start at least.

I may even start posting a little more :)

Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Martyr2  Icon User is online

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

So how long did it take you to write that reply? Because it makes sense and you probably didn't put that much effort into it. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

~15 Minutes, and I believe I rewrote it around 3 times trying to make it more simple than replying to each paragraph saying I'll try that over and over.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1