2 Replies - 815 Views - Last Post: 07 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Calling all Web Designers

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

Hello everyone,

I am pretty new to the professional web design world and I have a potential client lined up who wants an estimate based on price per page. I'm used to dealing with prices by the hour and I'm not sure how I go about figuring out what my cost per page is. The job entails copying content from an old site into a new Wordpress site. We're talking like 5-7 pages of content.

I don't want to sell myself short, but at the same time I don't want to scare them away with too high a price. What would you more experienced designers suggest? What do you charge per page, or per hour? The client is not a major company. In fact, it is an author who is not particularly famous or anything.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Calling all Web Designers

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Calling all Web Designers

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

Tell them what your price per hour is and that each page will cost X hours. I suggest this because they may request additional changes on a page that may take you a long time. You don't want to be cutting yourself out of money. Remember, clients often change their mind on things and some flat out lie.

If you quote them per page (which btw is not how it is typically done... it is per hour because of the additional complexity that sudden changes may require) then if they want something else done to the page they will expect you to stick to your initial quote. If you price per hour then if they start asking for changes you can say "Sure, that will be an extra half hour. Do you still want that?"

In web development, especially putting stuff into something like Wordpress it is never just about pages. You have settings that need changing, possibly a configuration of the server, config PHP, they may turn around and want some graphic work done or whatever.

If they insist on this whole "per page" garbage, then price out how long it would take you to do each page in hour(s), pad it a little for additional configuration time and straight out quote them for the entire job. Make sure you CLEARLY outline what you will and won't do for each page. Like if they want you to move over text and that is it, you price on that and don't deviate without additional charges.

It may seem harsh and it may scare them off, but it is how it must be done to protect yourself. You also have to remember it protects them because they know EXACTLY what they are getting for their money and can rest assured that you won't be doing any additional work and asking for more money later.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Calling all Web Designers

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

** Topic moved to FreeLancing **
Was This Post Helpful? 0