7 Replies - 1951 Views - Last Post: 21 July 2007 - 01:22 PM

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Meta Tag eye-candy blocked by IE7?

Post icon  Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:14 PM

I'm having trouble with this code. I wanted to know how this page was done. I discovered that this meta tag did the fade in trick (Only visible in IE)

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Page-Enter" CONTENT="BlendTrans(Duration=3.0)">

My only problem is figuring out how to keep IE7 from blocking it. When I go to the site I listed above its not blocked. But when I try to reproduce it IE7 blocks it saying it may harm your computer. I've messed around and it doesn't seem to be the Javascript that's keeping that block from happening, but I can't seem to find out what. Can anyone figure this out?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Meta Tag eye-candy blocked by IE7?

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Meta Tag eye-candy blocked by IE7?

Posted 19 July 2007 - 05:41 AM

IE7 has a different security policy for online websites as opposed to local websites. By default it tends to be more strict for local files. I'm guessing that you're developing and testing on your local file system, and this is when the problem is occurring? There should be a yellow bar that appears at the top of the window allowing you to unblock it, or you might have to go through the internet settings security options.

--serializer
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:29 AM

Um... I pretty much knew to click on the yellow box. That's a no-brainer. I'm building this for a company that has customers. I want this to work the first time so...

1.- To get the affect to catch their before they click somewhere else.
2.- So they don't think the company is trying to send them pop-up's
or anything malicious.
3.- So they don't have to go back or refresh the page to see this
affect.

I can operate that yellow bar just fine. It's the general uneducated consumer I'm worried about.

This post has been edited by Israel: 19 July 2007 - 10:29 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2007 - 11:57 PM

View PostIsrael, on 19 Jul, 2007 - 12:29 PM, said:

I want this to work the first time so...
Did you try uploading the document to a live Web site as was suggested? Internet Explorer 7 often shows the yellow bar for local files; the same file as a live Web page may not trigger it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:45 AM

View PostArbitrator, on 19 Jul, 2007 - 11:57 PM, said:

Did you try uploading the document to a live Web site as was suggested? Internet Explorer 7 often shows the yellow bar for local files; the same file as a live Web page may not trigger it.

That's what I was getting at; the security is stricter on local files, when you go live it should (hopefully) be fine.

Unfortunately, there's no way to bypass security settings on customer's computers. That's why it's called security! And developers have been screwing at Microsoft for years to make IE more secure, now they've finally done so we can't start complaining.

If on the live server you're still getting security warnings, maybe you could look at a Javascript solution for your transition. This would have the advantage that you can make it work on other browsers and customize it a bit more.

Here's something I'm working on for a friend which has a more complex transition: Rokasox V1

(This is just a test page, far from being a finished product! It works best in FF, this is more to do with CSS issues than JS. It takes a second or two to get going; I also still need to put in an image preloader, it's a bit glitchy.)

The above uses the (free) jQuery library; doing a basic fade-from-white transition like your example would only take a single line of Javascript using jQuery. Why not move away entirely from Microsoft's fruity meta tags and make something that decent browsers can appreciate? ;)

--serializer
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:34 PM

My bad Serializer, I had trouble decyphering the suggestion from your post. I just tried to upload this file to a server yesterday, which had trouble rendering things because of some of the CSS in their ads that hosting company forces you to use. The affect from the meta tags did not work at all. But like I said, I think it might have been caused by the ads that were forced on top of my code.
I use Apache2 server with Linux, but alas I only have one PC and IE4Linux doesn't usually do it justice. Could anyone test this code for me and tell me if the yellow bar is gone when its on a server?

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Page-Enter" CONTENT="BlendTrans(Duration=3.0)">

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2007 - 05:01 AM

Yes, my writing can be a little cryptic :)

The meta tag works fine when I try it.

You should remember if your site is going to be XHTML-compliant to write meta and its property names in lower case, and add the closing slash to the tag:

<meta http-equiv="Page-Enter" content="BlendTrans(Duration=3.0)"/>

--serializer
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2007 - 01:22 PM

Thank you, now on the hunt for a new server!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1