5 Replies - 440 Views - Last Post: 07 January 2013 - 10:32 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Difficulty in Creating own Game Editor

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:00 AM

Good Day Guys!

I am trying to create a game,in the process of designing, use some arts, programming/coding but, suddenly a thought comes to my mind "I know it is very hard & time consuming in creating a game so I think that I have to create my own GAME MAKER or somewhat a LEVEL EDITOR to create and manage my game contents, to reduce the time and stress in coding and coding of the game itself, and I also want to use that created editor for my future games to create".

Well, my question is that:

1. What are the informations I need or to learn to create such editor?
2. What are the steps in creating the editor? I appreciate even such small, general/not expanded steps.
3. Is the game size will become bigger if I use an editor than the game that didn't use one?
4. Do I have to mess with the compiler?

(I am somewhat confuse with these two)
5. How can I make the created game MADE with the editor DO its instructions sequentially?
6. How can I put assets/ resources (e.g. sprites) together so that the created game will have that file but not letting know the player see what the raw content is in that directory (e.g. use Photo Viewer to see what's the resources look like or use Media Players to play the files).

7. Lastly, What are the other concerns that I have to mind?

(Apology for some, but I always list my questions this way if I have many questions)

I listed my questions to avoid confusions and for future ones who has a question like this.

Thanks for taking the time to help me I appreciated every answer :D

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Difficulty in Creating own Game Editor

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Difficulty in Creating own Game Editor

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

If you just want a toolset that can help speed up your development then why not take advantage of what is already out there. Are you thinking of 2D games or 3D games, the tools will be very different?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

View Poststayscrisp, on 07 January 2013 - 09:07 AM, said:

If you just want a toolset that can help speed up your development then why not take advantage of what is already out there. Are you thinking of 2D games or 3D games, the tools will be very different?

2D Games, I think that if I created my own editor I can use it most productive than already built ones.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

Stop and think for a moment. what is a level? A level is some custom class, structure, and enumeration of values that you have in a collection that explains, defines, and outlines what a 'level' means to your game so the engine can draw it, the player can interact with it, and meaning is established. What does a level editor do? It manipulates your custom structures and essentially writes the base data in a format your game can read and recognize as a level.

It is not quite a 'chicken and the egg' bit - you would need to have a game defined (or at least how a 'level' is defined) before you can create some sort of editor.... and any 'commercial' level editors would then force you to use their formatting and code around how they perceive a level is represented in a file.

Depends.. it might be as complex as just writing an array of integers down to a file.. or something that has complex custom class data. Mostly, though, you would want to rip part of your graphics engine bit out so you know how to display what you are editing, right?

2. What are the steps in creating the editor? I appreciate even such small, general/not expanded steps.

Determine how you want to interact with the editor, how much the editor 'shows' the graphics, if there are complex interactions that need to be defined, etc. I've thrown together editors that are base vb.net forms that I would use a mouse, some drop downs, and a bit of custom scripting to make a level.

3. Is the game size will become bigger if I use an editor than the game that didn't use one?

Why would it?

Why would you?

5. How can I make the created game MADE with the editor DO its instructions sequentially?

What? What sort of game are you talking about? Why would the editor do any instructions?

6. How can I put assets/ resources (e.g. sprites) together so that the created game will have that file but not letting know the player see what the raw content is in that directory (e.g. use Photo Viewer to see what's the resources look like or use Media Players to play the files).

A custom file extension and some compression does the trick easily enough.

I am not sure how I would know your concerns.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

There are tools that will create levels for you in the form of tilemaps. This is my favourite http://www.mapeditor.org/ you can also export values along with the tiles so you can essentially use it as a complete level editor depending on how you parse the XML file that it spits out.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 07 January 2013 - 09:41 AM, said:

Stop and think for a moment. what is a level? A level is some custom class, structure, and enumeration of values that you have in a collection that explains, defines, and outlines what a 'level' means to your game so the engine can draw it, the player can interact with it, and meaning is established. What does a level editor do? It manipulates your custom structures and essentially writes the base data in a format your game can read and recognize as a level.

It is not quite a 'chicken and the egg' bit - you would need to have a game defined (or at least how a 'level' is defined) before you can create some sort of editor.... and any 'commercial' level editors would then force you to use their formatting and code around how they perceive a level is represented in a file.

Depends.. it might be as complex as just writing an array of integers down to a file.. or something that has complex custom class data. Mostly, though, you would want to rip part of your graphics engine bit out so you know how to display what you are editing, right?

Determine how you want to interact with the editor, how much the editor 'shows' the graphics, if there are complex interactions that need to be defined, etc. I've thrown together editors that are base vb.net forms that I would use a mouse, some drop downs, and a bit of custom scripting to make a level.

Why would it?

Why would you?

What? What sort of game are you talking about? Why would the editor do any instructions?

A custom file extension and some compression does the trick easily enough.

I am not sure how I would know your concerns.

Thank you Very much! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1