3 Replies - 552 Views - Last Post: 08 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

A complete noob

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

Hello there, I'm James and I'm a 15 year old from Wales. I like to draw, make things on Photoshop (such as signatures) and I'm currently doing my GCSE's.

I've joined the forums to learn about game development. It's always seemed interesting to me so I'd like to be able to learn a bit more about it. I understand it isn't easy at all, so I'll probably spend a lot of time reading topics and maybe asking a few members for some advice.

I don't know a thing about coding, I've tried using a "drag and drop" game engine called Construct2 (which I wasn't very good at) but obviously that program isn't very complicated at all. I'm hoping by a few years I can make my own 2D fighting game with original characters, stages, moves and combos. I look forward to learning some new things and maybe even help out other users if I ever become good at developing games in the future.

Also, if anyone's reading this, where would be the best place to start for a complete beginner? And can you recommend some good or essential software to me? Thank you!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: A complete noob

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: A complete noob

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

Welcome!

First I would start with the pinned threads in the game-dev forum. Then I would just read through a few pages into all the general comments and question.. pick up a programming language... and then flip through some of the tutorials.. pick up a book or two as well.. write down some ideas... and start testing things out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Perfectly Squared ;)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

Hello James

Welcome to DIC :)

Well, considering the fact that you like making signatures, do take a look at Signature of the month contest. :)

regards,
Raghav
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

Thank you for the kind welcomes and useful links. I'm currently learning basic programming language on Java, hopefully it will help me understand everything a bit more.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1