5 Replies - 765 Views - Last Post: 20 July 2007 - 11:42 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Dont know what languages/technologies to use

Post icon  Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:29 AM

Hi everyone,
I am working on a project that is basically an e-learning course consisting of:

-A login system that remembers how far the student has gone in the course, and their marks in various assignments
-Large high quality, maybe even hd videos(bandwidth doesnt matter!)
-the ability to allow students to use an online video editing program that has been built using ASP.NET 2.0(not by my but by my colleague)

I am a complete beginner with very little knowledge of programming but i plan on learning the basics needed to get this done. I would like to find out what are the easiest/best/most efficient technoligies for each of these requirements? As i said, I have as far as I can see, all the files for an online videoediting program but I dont actually know how to use them or tie them to the rest of the site.Does the whole thing have to be asp.net? I am very stuck and basically dont know how to get this thing started, so any help would be hugely appreciated! Thanks in advance,

Richie O'Keeffe

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Dont know what languages/technologies to use

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Dont know what languages/technologies to use

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:47 AM

View Postrichieokeeffe, on 19 Jul, 2007 - 01:29 PM, said:

Hi everyone,
I am working on a project that is basically an e-learning course consisting of:
-- snipped --

You might want to look at an existing content management framework for this type of project. Moodle comes to mind, as it is designed specifically for e-learning. Don't know if it meets all of your requirements, but you might want to check it out.

The homepage is moodle.org
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:54 AM

Ya I have checked that out but I need to actually do the building myself but moodle kinda does the stuff for you. Also it is a bit too extensive for me this really is quite small, just some database technology with some flash and other small things. Thanks though!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:00 AM

Hi,

If your video editor is in ASP.NET then it's advisable to use the same technology for the rest of the site; this will make it easier to tie everything together (although it's entirely possible to link other technologies with it, for instance if you found a CMS you preferred that was built in PHP). In any case, ASP.NET is an excellent technology to use. It should be fairly easy to set up a login system attached to a database to keep track of your users. You'll also want some kind of Flash video player module for movie playback.

I'm personally quite interested in this video editing application, and am prepared to offer you a good deal of technical assistance in getting your site running, in exchange for being able to use the editor in another project I'm working on. Since this other project also involves video streaming, I'm already in a position to provide a lot of what you need. I'm actually building a Flash player, which you could use a drop-in solution for your site if you don't already have something like this.

Please contact me by PM if you'd like to discuss any of this further. I tried to send you this by PM, but I got an error that your mailbox was full?

Kind regards

--serializer
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:40 AM

Hi serializer,
thanks for your help I had guessed I should be using ASP.NET alright. What Im doing is a project for college and the idea is to use some of the languages we covered. Unfortunately I wasn't the most studious person there and hence im pretty stuck on everything.
As for the video editor, it is not mine but from a project that was already completed in the same course last year. I have gotten permission from the college to use it in my own project but I dont know what the deal is with giving it to other people. I would be happy to ask them though, I doubt anyone would mind if other people used it.. Also Im not even sure if the thing works but just because I cant get it working doesnt mean someone else cant. I tried to pm you but I dont seem to be allowed to use the pm feature?

Another question-If i am using ASP.NET, is it better to use dreamweaver or microsofts visual web developer?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2007 - 11:42 AM

I guess there could be issues with the college allowing their code being used in an unrelated project. On the other hand if it doesn't quite work properly and I can fix it for them, maybe they could benefit from it as well? Really more than anything I'm interested to see what it does and how it does it; ASP.NET is a strange technology to use for something like that, I'd have thought Flash or Java would make more sense since a video editor needs to be quite graphical and interactive, whereas ASP.NET generally just generates HTML!

For your next question, definitely use VWD. It's specifically designed for working with ASP.NET whereas Dreamweaver just has rudimentary support for syntax highlighting etc. If you want to be able to properly debug and test your code you'll need VWD.

Your PMs being disabled could be some kind of account activation issue? I'm not sure since I haven't tried to send one to anyone else, I'm pretty new here myself.

One thing you want to consider: do you want videos to play in-page, a la Youtube etc., or will they just be downloadable files? The second option would be far easier.

I think your first task will be to work out your database structure. You'll need tables like:

=Users=
- FullName
- UserName
- Password
- EmailAddress
- HomeAddress
- Telephone

=Courses=
- CourseID
- CourseTitle
- CourseDescription

=Assignments=
- AssignmentID
- CourseID
- AssignmentInfo
- DeadlineDate

=UserAssignments=
- UserName
- AssignmentID
- SubmitDate
- Mark

=Videos=
- VideoID
- Filename
- Length
- Width
- Height

Have a think about these and decide if there's any other information you might need to store/represent in your database. Not knowing too much about the specifics of the data you're looking at, there's probably quite a bit I've missed.

Once you've worked this bit out, we can look at how you actually create this database, and then store and retrieve information there using ASP.NET.

--serializer
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1