7 Replies - 512 Views - Last Post: 13 January 2013 - 12:41 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

VS 2012 SQL server online question

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

Hi, I am new at VS SQL and would like to know how to create a SQL server that can be accessed online (a store and retrieve point)

I tried to search for tutorials and I wasn't successful. I kept on finding (how to create an SQL server, but I don't know how to use it as well as if it is online or not? (can all SQL servers be retrieved online)

So my point is.. can someone please help to a link or show me the right path to begin a SQL server online database.

What I like to achieve is to store X online and retrieve it from any computer with internet (as well as the VS program) and "Load" it into (Example X = textbox1.text) and save the textbox1.text as X online.

Example : A message system that sends and retrieves messages (from user 1 to the server then to user 2)

I hope someone can please help me... have tried to achieve this along time ago but I wasn't successful.

If there is a better way (besides SQL server database to do the same objective please let me know) I was told to create a SQL - because VS gives the ability.

Please, please help me..(I have quit an experience with VB Express Edition 2008 basic stuff) but have NO knowledge on SQL/databases.

Please and Thanks you!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: VS 2012 SQL server online question

• Master(Of Foo)
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: VS 2012 SQL server online question

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

You need a hosting site where they support MS SQL. SQL Server Management Studio allows you to connect to your database to create and edit. The way your site connects to the DB is by a connection string and a database objects like Entity Framework and ADO objects. ASPX is perfectly capable for databinding as well. Do you know what you will be using as far as your web pages?

This post has been edited by _HAWK_: 09 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:45 AM

Thanks.. but can you maybe please help me.. to get started - or show me to a link that will show me how to programming as well as creating a normal SQL DB to save and retrieve from..

Like I said I have NO knowledge with SQL as well as DB programming.

Please help me.

Thanks again!

Rudi
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Master(Of Foo)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

What Db do you want to use? What type of web page will you be using; ASPX, PHP, etc...? Once you decide then we can make all kinds of suggestions/tutorials.

SQL site.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

Well I want to use a really simple DB that stores text and will be able to retrieve it as well, but I want you to decide what is the best to use (maybe say why) and show me how to create.

I am really sorry but I can't tell you, because I don't know anything about this - a big newbie here!

If you would like to be a my teacher :D or maybe try to set my on the right path -> I'll be happy :D

BUT: If you don't have time....I won't be mad because I know you also have stuff to do.

So can you maybe show me how to create (If possible - not even using a DB - ) a message system in VS 2012 or VB EE 08 that can send/retrieve "mail" aka text of a text box => using internet(because want to make it local.

Please help me(ONLY if you like :D)
Thanks for feedback so far

Rudi
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

Perhaps then you should stop and spend time reading up and experimenting with databases? You can install MSSQL Express for free and also MYSQL for free... locally.. on your machine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Master(Of Foo)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

Ok, some points to think about. The 2 things you are asking about are not for beginners. To learn programming you need to understand the foundations first, then start making simple apps and as you learn you make more complicated apps. Building small apps is a fun way to get to know the language and object-oriented-programming. I recommend you get a book or two and start there. It is a bit hard to teach someone start to stop on a forum. We don't mind helping - that's why we are here. You do need to do a lot of foot work on your own. Come by here for specific problems or concepts that you are having issues with.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:41 AM

I have a background of VB 08.. but don't know DB's, maybe I should start with an offline DB first
then to put the DB online...I search how to create a DB and when I come to an error I let you know :D

Thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1