3 Replies - 6707 Views - Last Post: 10 January 2013 - 04:10 PM Rate Topic: -----

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

[Link] PHP Is Much Better Than You Think

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

Rants about PHP are everywhere, and they even come from smart guys. When Jeff Atwood wrote yet another rant about PHP, it made me think about the good parts of PHP.

The biggest problem of these rants is that they come from people stuck in the old days of PHP. They either don't care or they don't want to admit that PHP actually evolves at a very fast pace, both at the language level but also at the community level. In fact, it evolves much faster than any other language or web platform. It has not always been the case, but the last 5 years have been an amazing journey for PHP.

http://fabien.potenc...-than-you-think

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: [Link] PHP Is Much Better Than You Think

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: [Link] PHP Is Much Better Than You Think

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

Even though as a whole I think the language is great and use it all the time, I do have to admit some of the recent additions they have done have been kinda lame. The whole traits thing and stuff so they can mimic languages like Ruby and its mixins is just dumb. PHP was better when it tried to blaze its own path instead of now trying to be like other web languages that are more "cool".

But anyways, PHP has served me well and I am still a fan. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

Now, let me tell you a secret, the PHP "tour de force": Despite the changes over the years, PHP is still the easiest language to learn for non-technical people: it allows anyone to create dynamic websites faster than with any other technologies, it allows anyone to host websites cheaply and without any hassles. PHP is probably not the best designed language in the world, but it lets you get things done, and you can't argue with that.

So by this logic, BASIC was the best desktop programming language ever?

I'm sure there's a case to be made for PHP, but this is not the way to start out making it in my book.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

jon.kiparsky It is working for them over at the VB6 forum here on DIC. Muahaha :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1