• +
  • Last »

136 Replies - 60783 Views - Last Post: 30 March 2013 - 02:47 AM

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Coursera Programming Languages Course

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

If you want to talk about crypto, pm me. I'm looking forward to crypto II next week, but I'm sort of dreading it as well. Definitely could stand to talk about the material instead of just watching Boneh talk about it.

I expect that the PL course will pick up the pace pretty soon - but even so, I expect I'm going to be relying more on the lecture notes than the lectures. I read faster than he does.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

I started it, went through the first few videos and played with emacs a little. I will get into the actual programming lectures tomorrow and see what happens. The homework assignment looks interesting. Still not entirely sure how the test code works but I am sure I will get it after reading some more materials and watching the lectures. I must say I am excited about the course and looking forward to completing it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

I'm up for groups if anyone is in. I've had some decent experience with Scheme and LISP so this should be fairly natural to me.

PL by the way.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

So far my second biggest problem is remembering that emacs doesn't use ESC-:-w to write to disk.
But then I do that on DIC sometimes when I'm not thinking about it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

Dangit VIM... I keep on doing :wq in notepad++
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:49 AM

I guess I don't mind the slow pace. I've not done much functional programming before and the videos are bite-sized enough to watch one in a break. I'm sure it will pick up soon anyway but I should be comfortable with the language by then.

I've also never used Emacs before so I was learning as much by watching him use it as I was by listening about ML. Once I get the hang of controlling which buffer displays in which but of the screen I'll be laughing!

One thing that's bugging me is the single-letter variable names. I hope that's just because the examples in the lectures are so small. The other side of the coin is that I've been using "date", "dates", "month" and "months" in my homework. Unfortunately, the function signatures are looking pretty cluttered!

What do you guys think about the peer assessment? I'm kinda apprehensive about what they might say. I've done the homework the hard way, writing out the recursion long hand to help me learn. Then I went back and extracted the common concepts to their own functions. I hope I don't get hammered for apparently dodging the work!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#22 .Aaron  Icon User is online

• Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

@jon: Ok, cool. And even better/helpful since you're going into the second one, lol.

@cfoley: I don't know how the peer assessment will be here compared to the two other courses I did on the site, but in my experience people are pretty lenient. Mostly just a little constructive criticism or they just want to get it done because they have multiple things to grade and they don't say much at all.

Normally I'd be a bit annoyed at the slow pace, but right now it makes it easier as I'm nearing the end of the Drugs and The Brain course, starting Crypto I and the Introduction to Computer Networks course at the same time.

On a side note, I am never going to get used to using "~" for negative numbers. XD

This post has been edited by .Aaron: 15 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

View Post.Aaron, on 15 January 2013 - 03:07 PM, said:

On a side note, I am never going to get used to using "~" for negative numbers. XD

Yeah... "negative" and "negated" are somewhat different concepts in my world. But it's interesting to get in and grapple with a novel syntax. Makes me think more about details, get off of autopilot, so that's good at least.

I wouldn't worry about the peer assessment. Think of it as having someone look over your work and offer some feedback. If the feedback is useful, you gain something from it. If it isn't, you lose nothing from it. Since the grade doesn't matter, it's not going to make a difference either way.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#24 .Aaron  Icon User is online

• Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 15 January 2013 - 04:15 PM, said:

Yeah... "negative" and "negated" are somewhat different concepts in my world. But it's interesting to get in and grapple with a novel syntax. Makes me think more about details, get off of autopilot, so that's good at least.

Yea, exactly.

I think the unusual syntax is the only thing keeping me watching the early vids that go over all this stuff that's so basic it's boring. I can get the same thing reading just the pdf they give, but having to stare at it for so long with nothing else to really think about helps drill it into my brain.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

Are any of you guys emacs experts? I installed emacs and got everything working at home home just fine. At work the laptop I use cannot connect to the network here so I burned all the files to disk and installed them. I got emacs and the ml/nj installed and they work. When in emacs and editing .sml file when i do the C-c C-s it says it is undefined. I can do M-x run-sml then sml and it brings up that buffer. I just don't know if the C-c C-s thing is going to be a problem when I am trying to test the code and just how do I get that to work. The instructor provided directions for if that doesn't work in linux and mac but not windows I did what I thought was the same in the .emacs file on windows but it didn't work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

First of all, are you using 24.2?
If so, M-x list-packages should get you a list of major modes that you can install, and sml-mode should be one of those. Curse down to that and press 'i' when it's highlighted, then 'x' to 'x'-ecute the install.

After that, it should work.

But no, I'm not an emacs guru, and this is from memory, so it might easily be wrong. Check the install instructions.

As a workaround, if you have the sml interpreter running, you can edit the file, then run the interpreter separately. use "dates.sml" (or whatever filename) should load that file if it's in the same directory, you don't actually need to run it from Emacs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

yeah I installed the package and it works. I am just doing some extra steps here at work since it is not exactly configured the same as at home. At home is where I will do most of my work anyway. i really hate not being able to connect this laptop to the internet here at work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

How is everyone doing? I have about 4 videos left to watch and then I will start on the homework due next Thursday.

I am learning some new things that are making me rethink some of my past programs. Recursion is something I learned in school and did practical examples for class but I never really used it beyond that. I have to go to some outside sources to wrap my head back around it but now I am looking forward to put into my common practice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

I watched about half of the lectures, then switched over to the lecture notes. Half an hour later, I was on to the homework.
I would suggest you read the lecture notes first, and if they make sense, try the homework. If you still have trouble, then watch the lecture.

This is a good set of problems for recursion, though. You'll have a good start on it when you're done with these.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

Notes are definitely the faster way, but the videos will be good for newer people. I'm committing blasphemy against the almighty vim to do this course...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »