9 Replies - 775 Views - Last Post: 14 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

#1 kevin_mchugh  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Questions about a possible new job.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:04 AM

Hello All,

I am in the middle of trying to change jobs. And a recruitment consultatnt sent me this today:

Hi Kevin,

Please have a read over the website and try and find out more about this as much as possible: PotentialEmployer1

To be brutally honest I have not heard of PotentialEmployer2 and VB.Net is a dead language that Microsoft do not even support anymore, you will never see a new version of it. It was originally brought in for VB developers to transition into .Net more easily.

PotentialEmployer are a global business whilst still maintaining it’s personal touch and feel. CurrentEmployer and PotentialEmployer2. I am sure are nice companies but PotentialEmployer1 offers a real career progression opportunity with many different roads and paths to go down.

VB.Net is a Cul de Sac for your career which will not go anywhere and it is a shame to see someone who has the option to leap out of that field and get involved with real, well respected work that will see your salary rise and rise with experience. The top hands on guys at PotentialEmployer1 are on £X and then management becomes an option. If you decide it isn’t for you then the stuff you will pick up from there will be gold-dust on the marketplace so with 1 or 2 years there we will be able to find a job with another prestigious client in Edinburgh for about £X-XK if you have 2 years experience here.

I understand the position you are in but if you really study the direction of the IT industry and you are really looking to progress trust me and grab this with both hands. The very worst thing that can happen is you have one more very exciting (and the best) opportunity to choose from.

Now I have removed the actual names of companies to protect the innocent, but what I was wondering was how much of this do people think is true and how much is just the usual recruitment consultant BS.

Thakns for taking the time to read and reply. Apologies to any moderators I have upset by posting this in the wrong place.

Kevin

This post has been edited by kevin_mchugh: 11 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Questions about a possible new job.

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Questions about a possible new job.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:10 AM

I think you may have tweaked the message a bit too much. I am very confused at who is speaking to whom in several of the paragraphs.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 kevin_mchugh  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

View PostAnalyticLunatic, on 11 January 2013 - 09:10 AM, said:

I think you may have tweaked the message a bit too much. I am very confused at who is speaking to whom in several of the paragraphs.

Hopefully that reads a little better.

This post has been edited by kevin_mchugh: 11 January 2013 - 08:28 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

If you see this guy you can go (politely) tell him to fuck off. Seriously. VB.NET isn't a dead language *BECAUSE* it's .NET. I've heard this before from head hunters.. they think it's chic and cool to rag on VB.NEt until I explain the last three major/large companies I have worked for use VB.NET (among other things).

As for the career progression - sure.. larger companies have more fancy titles.. but sometimes that comes with the corporate BS.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

VB.Net is a dead language that Microsoft do not even support anymore, you will never see a new version of it.

No prizes for guessing one of the languages in Visual Studio 2012. ://>
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

Considering VB.NET is supported in even the latest WPF architecture I don't think its dead - Maybe sick and soon to be hospitalized.

I do think any of the C family (C, C++, C#, Objective-C) programmers are treated better and have more lateral room for learning. If you can code in C# you can stumble through reading C++ and even JAVA at least enough to make use of it, and cross training from one C language to another is less difficult. Its like Polish and Russian. If you speak Russian you can comprehend enough of a Polish speaker to get by even if you can't form a Polish paragraph perfectly from scratch. But trying to go from VB.NET to Objective-C is too far a stretch. Like going from English to Chinese: There just isn't enough similarity to make it at all easy on you.

VB.NET may be just as strong and capable as C# since it is still leveraging the same .NET infrastructure, but for whatever reason it is considered the hobbyist language or the poor brother by most businesses. Maybe it just shares too many commonalities with VBA and is {wrongfully} considered more for scripting. Maybe its the VB5 heritage. Or just the name BASIC from the 1980's. Whatever the reason doesn't really matter as you're not going to change the minds of 10,000 businesses that you want to apply for work at. Its one of those things that while wrong is still just the way life is.

TechRepublich article: Is VB.NET Dead?

Another good article is this one (short enough to quote here)

Is VB.NET Dead?
Posted by Mahesh Chand in Blogs | Current Affairs on Oct 21, 2012
Is Microsoft Killing VB.NET? C# has always been Microsoft's favorite child.

Year 2012 has been a busy year for Microsoft developers. Too much to digest and too much to learn. Windows 8 will be available to public on this coming week. Microsoft just published a special MSDN Magazine issue focusing on just Windows 8 and Windows Store apps.

So what is different in this issue?

I remember a few years back, C# developers used to complain how MSDN magazine and early code samples used to be in VB.NET. The trend changed slowly and today, when I am reading this MSDN magazine, I do not see any sample in VB.NET.

All Oct month MSDN Magazine code samples are in C#.

What does that mean?

Is Microsoft is moving away from VB.NET? I can argue that why does it matter? Does it matter if it is C# or VB.NET? Not really. Not really for experienced developers but for students and beginners who can't learn two different languages, it does matter. I wrote a blog, C# vs. VB.NET in 2006 that shows C# developers always get paid more than VB.NET but Bashar Lulu also had his point of view that VB.NET was more popular than C#.

Here is an interesting article that shows C, Java, Objective-C, and C++ are most used programming language followed by C# at #5.

C : 19.822%
Java : 17.193%
Objective-C : 9.477%
C++ : 9.260%
C# : 6,530%
Based on these numbers, C# still has a long way to go and I suspect if it will ever become as popular as C, C++ and Java but surely, it is way ahead of VB.NET and some others.

C# Programmers make more than VB.NET Programmers.

I am not sure how correct this is but here is another good and detailed list of programming languages and their market share. http://langpop.com/

Today, I searched Monster for keywords C# and VB.NET. For C#, there were about 700 jobs but for VB.NET, less than 70. I know it is not an accurate measurement but it gives you an idea about the job market demand of C# vs VB.NET.

But as Modi points out - you don't need 1,000 jobs in VB.NET. You can only work at one anyway. So long as you find one and it pays the bills you're golden.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 11 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

So long as you find one and it pays the bills you're golden.

... and that's the key. Just like Johnny said to Ponyboy - stay gold!
Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

View Postkevin_mchugh, on 11 January 2013 - 03:16 PM, said:

View PostAnalyticLunatic, on 11 January 2013 - 09:10 AM, said:

Hopefully that reads a little better.

That does read better. I had actually hoped the mention about VB.NET being a Dead language was just some sort of typo, but modi123_1 and tlhIn`toq have covered pretty well why that is a load.

I started out officially as a Data Analyst developing a warehouse floor application using VBA and Access, then moved to my current position as a full on Developer coding in VB.NET. For our newest project, we have developed in C# after upgrading to VS2010.

There has been a few teeth pulled as it's been awhile since I used C#, but now that I'm getting back in the swing of things I'm enjoying it more.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

View Postkevin_mchugh, on 11 January 2013 - 09:04 AM, said:

I am in the middle of trying to change jobs.

Nice article on how 5 older workers saw a way to remake their careers.

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Your Friendly Local Curmudgeon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

A quick look on indeed.com suggests that the actual jobs available are java, C#, C++, VB and C, in that order. Using the search criterion "x developer", where x is the language gives that order, however, most "C developer" jobs actually specify C++.

This post has been edited by BobRodes: 14 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1