7 Replies - 588 Views - Last Post: 14 January 2013 - 04:20 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How can I learn web 'design'?

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

Hey guys, I was wondering where I could learn how to actually design websites? I understand HTML and CSS and I believe I'm competent at using both, for a beginner. However I'm struggling with the actual design process. I've been trying to create an online CV/Resume and I've noticed that web design is much harder in practice than it is in theory from books/tutorials and what I've actually created is rather bland and boring plus if I resize the window, the content doesn't stay within the div box I placed on screen. The site is here if it helps with what I'm trying to explain: http://s448796546.websitehome.co.uk/

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How can I learn web 'design'?

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: How can I learn web 'design'?

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

well there are so many possibilities to learn webdesign... you can visit courses, read books, tutorials, watch videos... it's up to you what you prefer. but the most important thing is to go on every day, and not giving up! because even if you become an expert, there will everytime still be something new to learn about webdesign.

anyway to your problem: at the moment i can not watch the source code of your page, because i'm reading on my ipad but i am pretty sure, that the problem might be in your CSS. perhaps a wrong overflow setting?

This post has been edited by Anthonidas: 11 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

Thanks for the reply! I'm not too sure if you understood what I'm asking, or whether I described it the wrong way. However the problem I'm facing isn't actually the code as such, but rather, how and where to place things on the page, and how to make a decent looking site. Reading books and tutorials and what not only explain the code, but it's the actual artistic side of it I'm struggling with.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

oh yeah... ok... well, this is a bit more difficult to learn ;)

there are also many ways, like courses. but i think, something you can do on your own starting right now could be to watch as many websites as you can and find out why you are liking some and why you do not like others. what do the websites you like have in common, where are the differences, and so on.

even if there are basic things you can learn for good designs, my opinion is, that art is just spontaneity. it is something you feel... so finally the only way to find out your style, your way to design things, is to try things out, to experiment everything and every idea that passes trough your head ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

Thanks, that's pretty good advice. It is pretty much what I've been doing but I feel as though I'm not progressing. I'll stick with it though and try out what you have suggested! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

So you mean you're struggling with the creativity aspect of it. Well that has just has to come from within. However, looking at other websites, and there are certain tools that help with the mix and match of color. Anyways most websites i.e there is a certain standard design practice you can find like the place for the menu bar and how the content must be placed etc. Begin with standard and then move on to fancy stuff..!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:27 AM

perhaps you know tools like this one, there are many out there, but personally i like kuler. ( https://kuler.adobe.com/ )

it is a usful tool that helps you find colors that look good together. give it a try.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:20 AM

You could do it the fancy way by reading books etc en studie a lot, but you probably learn the most if you just try and make websites, if you make them and you have a problem and you search how you can fix a problem you learn a lot more :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1