34 Replies - 2966 Views - Last Post: 13 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

#31 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Aaron Swartz commits suicide

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:25 AM

View PostWolfCoder, on 13 January 2013 - 04:02 AM, said:

You're not even listening to me even when you're quoting me..

I +1 the last one. Not because l agree but because it makes your position far more understandable. Your sympathy is clearly with those left behind. I can appreciate that. It also puts you at odds with others, me included, who feel more for the person ending their life than those who feel slighted by it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:23 AM

View Postcreativecoding, on 12 January 2013 - 08:39 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure depression, substance abuse, suicide, and all of that stuff is way above our heads of fully understanding. People here talking about how they should take responsibility... Think anorexics should do the same? "Why don't you just eat?", I mean cmon... It's A LOT more than that. It's not a simple "oh they're lazy, they took the easy way out, what a pussy".

Suicide is a complex issue probably stemming from many different problems. It's not a simple not wanting to face the day.

And no death should be treated this way, with hateful messages about how he took the easy way out and is a coward. The dude died. Do you think he wanted that? Probably not. But it was probably the lesser of two evils, the other being whatever he was facing in his mind or in reality.

You all have no idea what he was going through or what the full story is. Show some respect.

Look, look! The only non-idiotic post in this entire god damn thread. Loving the armchair psychologists here who think they know what depression is. When you're depressed you can't just "man-up".

This post has been edited by Sergio Tapia: 13 January 2013 - 08:23 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

Yeah that's what I was getting at myself, but cc expounded more on it and said it better than I did. Why are we letting some guys death turn into a flame war/shitstorm?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

POPULAR

I stopped reading on the first page...

Sorry DIC, but I've fucking lost respect for you today. A whole fucking lot of respect.

You obviously have NO fucking idea what suicide is like.

This wasn't even a fucking post about the news of a mans death that spiraled into a hateful and bashing thread like the lounge sometimes does...

this thread STARTED as a hateful and bashing thread. WolfCoder posted it with the intent of ridiculing a dead man who took his own life, and you have no idea why he may have done that.

I'm going to have to leave the lounge for a little while now... ashamed of you.
Was This Post Helpful? 9
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

LOD has a good point there. This discussion was more or less borderline in the beginning, even for the lounge, and people have had a chance to air their views on this already.

I'm thinking it's about time we call this thread and move on.

* Closed *
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +