8 Replies - 1800 Views - Last Post: 14 January 2013 - 10:16 AM Rate Topic: -----

#1 Lukee9  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 37
  • Joined: 15-August 12

Remove top of title bar without removing bottom

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

Hey, I was wondering if there is a way to remove the top of a title bar without removing the bottom;
What I mean by this is that it gets rid of the bar at the top with the _ [] X button doesn't remove the taskbar (where your running applications appear). I was previously using
Me.MainForm.FormBorderStyle = FormBorderStyle.None
but that got rid of the taskbar, so I tried
Me.MainForm.ControlBox = False
instead and change the title of the form to a space (as putting the title as nothing gave me the same result as the formborderstyle function).
So I want to know if there is a function / way to remove the title bar but keep the taskbar (I'm using Windows 7 if that helps with the taskbar bit?)
Thanks in advanced, all comments appreciated.
~Lukee9

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Remove top of title bar without removing bottom

#2 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is offline

  • Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

Reputation: 5436
  • View blog
  • Posts: 11,658
  • Joined: 02-June 10

Re: Remove top of title bar without removing bottom

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

I seriously doubt that having a borderless form completely removed the taskbar from your Windows OS. It just doesn't work that way.

Do you mean that your application did not appear *in* the taskbar?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 _HAWK_  Icon User is offline

  • Master(Of Foo)
  • member icon

Reputation: 1043
  • View blog
  • Posts: 4,057
  • Joined: 02-July 08

Re: Remove top of title bar without removing bottom

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

Just move to WPF and design your form completely the way you want - transparent controls, gradient backgrounds, inherited styles and etc...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Lukee9  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 37
  • Joined: 15-August 12

Re: Remove top of title bar without removing bottom

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 12 January 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

I seriously doubt that having a borderless form completely removed the taskbar from your Windows OS. It just doesn't work that way.

Do you mean that your application did not appear *in* the taskbar?

Nope, I never said it removes it, the program just overlaps / covers the taskbar :)

View Post_HAWK_, on 12 January 2013 - 08:30 PM, said:

Just move to WPF and design your form completely the way you want - transparent controls, gradient backgrounds, inherited styles and etc...

I'll give this a go, thnx :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is offline

  • Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

Reputation: 5436
  • View blog
  • Posts: 11,658
  • Joined: 02-June 10

Re: Remove top of title bar without removing bottom

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

View PostLukee9, on 13 January 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 12 January 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

I seriously doubt that having a borderless form completely removed the taskbar from your Windows OS. It just doesn't work that way.

Do you mean that your application did not appear *in* the taskbar?

Nope, I never said it removes it


View PostLukee9, on 12 January 2013 - 03:07 PM, said:

but that got rid of the taskbar


When you can't describe what is actually happening we can't really help.

Best of luck with your project.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 Lukee9  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 37
  • Joined: 15-August 12

Re: Remove top of title bar without removing bottom

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:55 AM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 13 January 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

View PostLukee9, on 13 January 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 12 January 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

I seriously doubt that having a borderless form completely removed the taskbar from your Windows OS. It just doesn't work that way.

Do you mean that your application did not appear *in* the taskbar?

Nope, I never said it removes it


View PostLukee9, on 12 January 2013 - 03:07 PM, said:

but that got rid of the taskbar


When you can't describe what is actually happening we can't really help.

Best of luck with your project.


I have explained what is happening, but I guess I'll do it in more detail, when my program is in fullscreen mode without borders it covers the taskbar, I don't want it to cover the task bar, thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is offline

  • Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

Reputation: 5436
  • View blog
  • Posts: 11,658
  • Joined: 02-June 10

Re: Remove top of title bar without removing bottom

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

*How* are you going about putting it in "full screen" mode? What is your code for this?

Because if you set a form to WindowState.Maximize the OS will fit it to the working space.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 Lukee9  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 37
  • Joined: 15-August 12

Re: Remove top of title bar without removing bottom

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 14 January 2013 - 09:42 AM, said:

*How* are you going about putting it in "full screen" mode? What is your code for this?

Because if you set a form to WindowState.Maximize the OS will fit it to the working space.

Ye I'm using windowstate maximized and it covers the taskbar, is there an alternative way of making it fullscreen without covering the taskbar, without working out the screen size and doing it that way
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is offline

  • Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

Reputation: 5436
  • View blog
  • Posts: 11,658
  • Joined: 02-June 10

Re: Remove top of title bar without removing bottom

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

Not that I'm aware of. You either use the built-in functions which you say don't get the results you want - or your write your own which means getting the WorkingArea of the monitor the program is on.

Mind you there isn't a lot to work out for the WorkingArea, you just ask the OS for it.
http://msdn.microsof...a(v=vs.71).aspx
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1