6 Replies - 706 Views - Last Post: 21 January 2013 - 01:43 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Is my CPU/mobo overheating?

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

I have three sources that are reporting temperatures; ASUS's AI utility, CoreTemp, and Razer Game Booster. Attached is a screenshot of all the readings. CoreTemp is telling me they are in normal temperature ranges. The other two are telling me they are operating at over 80 degrees C (and it's freaking me out). Help?

Note: there is seemingly no drop in performance, and no crashes. I want to point out however earlier today I tried using SetFSB to overclock my CPU (since BIOS is locked and won't let me), and when I tried setting it, my machine crashed instantly.

Also, I did configure a new power supply and GPU yesterday, but did not have any zip ties to secure them, so I tried storing them in a safe place.
Posted Image

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 12 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is my CPU/mobo overheating?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is my CPU/mobo overheating?

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

Is that blue one reporting 196C, or is it oddly mixing measurements?

I don't know exactly if this relates, but on my PC I have a i5 CPU. One sensor, labelled only as "CPU", is constantly reporting ridiculously high readings, up to 127C under high loads (that's where the meter tops off, even though I know it goes much higher in reality.) The cores always stay well within safe bounds, according to all sources, and so do the MB and GPU sensors. So, after long long periods spent searching for a reason, I just chose to ignore it. Haven't had a single issue so far, and it's been over a year. (And I don't go easy on the usage at times.)

My suggestion is, if the core temperatures aren't going critical, and the system temperatures aren't too high, and given that you have proper cooling installed... just let it be. Today's CPUs and GPUs both have internal measures that shut things down (or throttle them down) when temperatures go above certain levels. If that starts happening, then I'd start being worried.

(Disclaimer: Use the above advice at own risk! :))
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

Not to take anything away from DIC, but why don't you (in addition to DIC) ask this in a forum dedicated to hardware or at the support forums for the products in question? I too doubt the temps are that high, but I'd definitely try to fix the problem.

ASUS support
CoreTemp support

You could also try Tom's Hardware, Overclock.net, or Tech Support Forums.

Note: there is seemingly no drop in performance, and no crashes. I want to point out however earlier today I tried using SetFSB to overclock my CPU (since BIOS is locked and won't let me), and when I tried setting it, my machine crashed instantly.

I'd wouldn't do any overclocking until you get things back to normal.

Also, I did configure a new power supply and GPU yesterday, but did not have any zip ties to secure them, so I tried storing them in a safe place.

What do you mean zip ties and storing them in a safe place? Are they mounted correctly or not? If not, you ought to fix that.

Is that blue one reporting 196C, or is it oddly mixing measurements?

Maybe after a certain point the program goes hay wire. Zuelajindi: you should check to see if the BIOS has a shutdown temperature setting, and if so, set it!

I'd also investigate needing BIOS updates, checking that your hardware is compatible with those programs, and (especially) reverting back to your previous hardware configuration to try and track down where things go wrong.

Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

BIOS did report 38 degrees C when I booted, so the other readings are probably unreliable.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:24 AM

I would do this,
Run your PC so that it will be warm. (run a high end game or something)
then shutdown everything and reboot,
Go into your motherboards BIOS.
Check to see what BIOS is reporting for temperatures.
If those are ok then I wouldn't worry about what those other programs are reporting.

Chances are that your motherboard does not have all the fancy dancey temperature sensors that the newer motherboards have and this screws up those programs. Those programs are probably looking for all sorts of sensors that don't exist.

I've had issue where a PC would not boot due to a broken 3-wire case fan. Turns out that out of all of the fans that we (my friends and I) have in stock (piled in our spare rooms) Only ONE would work. Turns out there is no real standard for the sensors that are in the 3-wire 4-wire and 5-wire sensor-ed fans.....

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:16 AM

Do what calvin said and run the computer what you would consider warm/hot to the point where you think it would/should be overheating, restart and check the bios. Honestly programs in your OS are nice, but truth be told, not nearly as reliable compaired to the bios temp guages.

Also on a side note, unless your computers 20 years old, it should have a heat sensor that would shut down the system to prevent damage from overheating (or atleast have an annoying internal alarm.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:43 AM

View Postblindstone, on 18 January 2013 - 03:16 AM, said:

(or atleast have an annoying internal alarm.)

Oh man, Thanks for reminding me about those! #2pencil's first server had one of those that used to go off all the time. He had a giant blower on it just to keep it cool!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1