7 Replies - 857 Views - Last Post: 16 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Best language to create my idea.

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

Hello all,
I am new to this forum and software coding in general but I am interested in pursuing an idea of mine. I would like to create a web based application that will schedule events for lets say a salon. I would like to tie together a scheduler,POS system,CRM including financial abilites similar to Quickbooks. Not nearly as vast as QB as I would only be looking for the collection and sales/income features of a quickbooks type system. I am somewhat competent in PHP and I know I will need to further my javascript knowledge. I would like some guidance on my choice in education. Can I pull this off with PHP, javascript and MySQL? Or should I be looking at another foundation. My biggest question is in the ability to create a schedule viewed one day at a time with drag and drop. So lets say the salon has 5 stylists and your appointment needs to be moved from stylist A at 3pm to stylist B at 1pm. I would like to just drag the 1 hour appointment over to the other stylists column. Then when that appointment is fulfilled it ties into the POS and changes the status of the appointment to PAID. I'll stop rambling as I'm sure you guys get the idea. Any guidance is much appreciated. I could not find much on schedulers as most searches bring back scheduling some computer backup or task. Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Best language to create my idea.

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Best language to create my idea.

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

If you have to ask, you're nowhere near ready to try something like this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:00 AM

I would like to tie together a scheduler,POS system,CRM including financial abilites similar to Quickbooks. Not nearly as vast as QB as I would only be looking for the collection and sales/income features of a quickbooks type system.
Can I pull this off with PHP, javascript and MySQL?

Yes and no. Sure the data can be arranged in a webformat, but to have some processing power to do a 'quickbooks-esque' would require a desktop app of some complexity.

At best you can get the scheduler to input right into a database and said database would do the quickbooks-esque feature that might work.. (though the drag and drop would be gold plating at this point)... the key here is the DB.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

Input appreciated. Maybe another approach. Would it be a more simple task to get the scheduler/CRM to dump into Quickbooks Point of sale? Then partner with a real software pro and have them implement the POS/Financial part. I know I will be hiring/partnering with a someone who is more capable of coding this although I would like to put a good year at it myself and see how far I can get. Spending most of my time on the functionality and then have a more experienced designer do the more complex css and visual appealing parts.

I am very serious about getting into this particular niche regarding a more focused software answer than what is out there for my industry. I am sure I sound like a rookie hack who is degrading all the time and experience you proficient chaps have taken to get to your level. That is not my intention. I have been spending 6-8 hours a day for the last 3 months on PHP and MySQl. I plan on continuing this regiment but don't know where to go next. When I put my mind to something I get it done. So hopefully I will be able to educate myself into one of the members on the forum that spent 2-3 years learning and now code for a living. Again I am more interested at attacking the sales/marketing/design side regarding my niche service industry but I think it only prudent to learn the coding before partnering and dropping investment capital. I like the challenge too. So I realize my request sounds laughable but I would appreciate some guidance in what I should be learning. I plan on exhausting Lynda.com which should give me a good enough knowledge base to be able to learn via sites like this.

Perhaps my question is more which languages would you recommend I spend my first year on? I was trying to avoid learning desktop coding and focusing more on web based approaches as that is where would like my software to be implemented.

So regarding the database doing the Quickbooks portion, what would that be written in? Java or VB.net?

I understand forms/uploads/MySQL but I don't see how I can get a schedule with objects in PHP. I am hoping after a couple months at Javascript I will get a better understanding. Or learn how impossible my goals are and go back to running my service business.

Thank for listening to my rambles!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

I understand forms/uploads/MySQL but I don't see how I can get a schedule with objects in PHP. I am hoping after a couple months at Javascript I will get a better understanding. Or learn how impossible my goals are and go back to running my service business.

If you want a web scheduler, you should look into Javascript and jQuery to handle the drag-and-drop functionality. The key in terms of storing the data is good database design.

Consider the following table design:
appointments
-------------------------------------------------------
appointment_id (PK) | stylist_id (FK) | appointment_start (datetime) | appointment_end (datetime)

stylists
stylist_id (PK) | stylist_fname | stylist_lname 

Here, you can see how in the database, the stylists are related to the appointments they are performing.

I know I will be hiring/partnering with a someone who is more capable of coding this although I would like to put a good year at it myself and see how far I can get. Spending most of my time on the functionality and then have a more experienced designer do the more complex css and visual appealing parts.

In all fairness, the development will probably be more complex than the design. It's great to want to learn, but in a business (especially a startup), it is also good to play to your strengths and look to get a technical person on your team. It's better to have them do it right the first time than to have them wasting time on refactoring code.

That being said, we're happy to help as you run into problems or questions. Good luck! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Your Friendly Local Curmudgeon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

Still, if you nail the design you have more than half the battle won. You can always farm the development out to China, but the further you go afield, the more rigorous you have to be with design specs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 13 January 2013 - 10:04 PM, said:

If you want a web scheduler, you should look into Javascript and jQuery to handle the drag-and-drop functionality. The key in terms of storing the data is good database design.

Consider the following table design:
appointments
appointment_id (PK) | stylist_id (FK) | appointment_start (datetime) | appointment_end (datetime)

stylists
stylist_id (PK) | stylist_fname | stylist_lname 

Here, you can see how in the database, the stylists are related to the appointments they are performing.

I know I will be hiring/partnering with a someone who is more capable of coding this although I would like to put a good year at it myself and see how far I can get. Spending most of my time on the functionality and then have a more experienced designer do the more complex css and visual appealing parts.

In all fairness, the development will probably be more complex than the design. It's great to want to learn, but in a business (especially a startup), it is also good to play to your strengths and look to get a technical person on your team. It's better to have them do it right the first time than to have them wasting time on refactoring code.

That being said, we're happy to help as you run into problems or questions. Good luck! :)/>

Thank you very much for the Database sample. I will use an extended version of that layout. I am diving into the Javascript and then checking into the vast J-query abilities. Still a little confused on how to display a dynamic schedule but I am sure the answers lie in the Javascript. I am sure tables but I just don't want to waste too much time trying to get PHP to build the table when Javascript would have been better suited. Uh ohh I'm back to asking questions so vague your only answer would be to write the thing! :stupid: I'll be back when I am able to actually ask a question! Thanks!

View PostBobRodes, on 15 January 2013 - 12:26 AM, said:

Still, if you nail the design you have more than half the battle won. You can always farm the development out to China, but the further you go afield, the more rigorous you have to be with design specs.

Thank you for the encouragement! Hard to come by! I am sure there are significant savings going abroad. I'm going to try to keep it States based as I am sure this project is going to get our budget back in balance.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

When designing a large idea, be as language agnostic as possible. This will save you hours worth of headaches. That's why I normally say that people that have to ask are probably not ready to undertake a larger project. The language itself is near completely irrelevant. Any language can build what you want with the right coaxing, the question is what do you want done and really defining the problem.

Programming language should be the last of your concerns, after all the planning and analysis is done. Only evaluate what language would be best suited when you truly comprehend what it is you want done, otherwise you'll end up in patch-hackery with a scrapped application and a generally negative outlook to the language you chose. This applies to frameworks as well.

The number one thing I can say is make sure to focus on the problem before you ever touch a line of code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1