5 Replies - 2668 Views - Last Post: 14 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

What is UI Developer vs. UI Designer?

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

Hi all,
I just graduated last semester and now Iím looking for a junior position as a Developer.
While searching for jobs I keep coming across UI Developer, UI Designer, and Frontend Developer
What is the definition/different of each?
My degree is in Computer Science, and the program I studied was intense in Algorithm Analysis, Advance Math Courses, and Science course.
I can read books and learn about good practice for designing, but this would still not make me a good designer.
I have no artistic skills and no designing skills.
My main question and concern is? Do UI Developers and Frontend Developers need to know how to design?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What is UI Developer vs. UI Designer?

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What is UI Developer vs. UI Designer?

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

There is not much of a difference really. One thing you have to quickly learn about industry is that there are like 10 different titles for almost any position.

Now whenever you see developer/designer it usually means one is is a code writer and the other is an artist. For instance I am a developer at work, I work with a designer who comes up with the graphics and is in charge of the "look". I am the one who takes that vision and makes it work by writing code.

But in many companies this could be the same person. Don't get caught up on the title, look at what they are asking for skills. Developers tend to have to do a little design from time to time. I can't go to my boss and say "Nope, I am not going to create a gradient button, that is the designer's job!"

:)

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 13 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

View Postquim, on 13 January 2013 - 10:13 PM, said:

Do UI Developers and Frontend Developers need to know how to design?

Yes. No question about it. No way around it.

I can read books and learn about good practice for designing, but this would still not make me a good designer.

Its good that you recognize this. Few people are honest with themselves about their limitations.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 14 January 2013 - 11:45 AM, said:

Do UI Developers and Frontend Developers need to know how to design?

Yes. No question about it. No way around it.

Its good that you recognize this. Few people are honest with themselves about their limitations.

I am learning about design best practice primarily to allow me to understand the designers and communicated with them. I can write code, and quickly learn about libraries. I can design API's, Develop Adaptive and Responsive Web Application, but NOT design attractive things. My visual designing skills are only good enough for prototypes or for my personal projects.
I thought that UI Developers only needs to know how to code and integrate the code with the design.
For instance UI Developer working in a web app should know HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery and maybe (Java | Python | Ruby), and they use their skills to fetch data from the server and render in the design (html).
On the other hand, I thought that UI Designers are responsible for designing the layout and other visual aspect of the application.
Anyway at the end I’m responsible for doing whatever my boss asks me. And if he tells me that I have to design a gradient I will do it although it will not look as good as if a Designer had done it.

This post has been edited by quim: 14 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

Maybe if you're in a company with a 50 man team they can break it down like that.

But if you're in a smaller shop then you wear more hats - Like any job.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Your Friendly Local Curmudgeon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

There are two aspects to UI design. Basically, one is how the UI looks, and the other is how it behaves. You may be very good at working out how it behaves without having artistic ability. It's important to separate the two aspects as well; too many times people get into colors and shapes of elements without deciding just where those elements go. You may wish to look into wireframing. It's a very important skill.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1