8 Replies - 1584 Views - Last Post: 29 July 2007 - 07:24 PM

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Google Loses Search Share to MSN

Post icon  Posted 22 July 2007 - 09:13 AM

Ending months of gains, Google lost search market share in June. And Microsoft gained market share.

http://www.informati...cleID=201001691

Hmmmm, couldn't be that Microsoft just shipped a new operating system with all the search defaults set to MSN could it?! Sneaky Sneaky Microsoft!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Google Loses Search Share to MSN

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Google Loses Search Share to MSN

Posted 22 July 2007 - 09:20 AM

Damn you Microsoft!! Let UNIX take over!

God! Microsoft is a pain in the ass. UNIX rocks.

Microsoft can rot in hell for the dirty move of MSN.com as the homepage by default. This is a dirty play. GOOGLE should sue.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:44 AM

View Postduffsstuff, on 22 Jul, 2007 - 09:20 AM, said:

Microsoft can rot in hell for the dirty move of MSN.com as the homepage by default. This is a dirty play. GOOGLE should sue.

They are, but not having too much luck. Google is claiming that defaulting to MSN search on Vista is another monopolistic move that violates anti-trust laws and their EU court decision against them. So far the courts have not cracked down on Microsoft for it.

I am not too worried though, Google has shown to be innovative far beyond anything Microsoft can do. It was inevitable that Google would lose a share or two for a given month. Now I will be more concerned if this starts a slide for Google.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2007 - 03:27 PM

As a Linux kernel developer, and a large advocate of GNU/GPL software, I'd have to say that this sort of sensationalism is what KEEPS people from using *nix operating systems. Microsoft has some very good products. What should Google sue for? Is it illegal to default people to using your default service? The keyword there is "default."

View PostMartyr2, on 23 Jul, 2007 - 10:44 AM, said:

They are, but not having too much luck. Google is claiming that defaulting to MSN search on Vista is another monopolistic move that violates anti-trust laws and their EU court decision against them. So far the courts have not cracked down on Microsoft for it.

I'm currently interviewing with Google, and I would love to be a Google employee. I love their products, and I love their mantra. However, their accusations are out of line. I don't hear Microsoft complaining about Google being the default search in Firefox. Firefox spans operating systems, and is not specific to JUST Windows. Who's really being "monopolistic" (understanding that the Mozilla Foundation and Google have no formal agreement aside).

Defaulting a user to a certain search engine is not illegal. Forcing them to a certain search engine (or any product) without giving the opportunity to choose is absolutely illegal. That's why Microsoft has backed down from not allowing Google Desktop on Vista: it's illegal (and will be fixed in SP1). It's entirely possible for users to change their default search engine in IE. But if a user is that technically inclined, it might be easier to install Firefox. As long as the user has the decision, it's not only completely legal, but a sound business practice.

rockstar_
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 July 2007 - 04:20 AM

Windows Vista and IE belongs to Microsoft so Microsoft has the freedom to default the search engine to MSN if they want to its there choice.there not forcing anyone to use there products.It isnt dirty play its good business you would do the same in there shoes.Hell microsoft could even block google on IE if they want to its there application they can do what they want!

This post has been edited by dragon-slayer: 28 July 2007 - 02:10 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:30 AM

How can Google sue for this? Last time I checked this isnt an illegal act. So you're telling me that if I were to create an OS and my own search engine that it would be illegal for me to default my OS (and browser's) search to mine? How can this even be remotely viewed as an illegal act? As rockstar_ pointed out the user does have the option to change the "default" search to Google, Microsoft isnt forcing them to use MSN. I think people just need to relax, we live in such a sue-happy society, makes me sick at times.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2007 - 03:41 PM

Did it say they were sueing? I didn't see that but may have misread the article?!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2007 - 03:51 PM

Microsoft can put whatever the they want in their operating system, it's their product. What they do will effect their business.

This sort of odd fanboy-ism confounds me. I haven't used UNIX but Windows XP suits me just fine. I agree with rockstar and to add a note, I would naturally do the same if I were writing an operating system that will be widely used- that is to default to the search service that I also own. I may not agree with everything Microsoft has decided to do but I am opportunistic and open minded.

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 29 July 2007 - 03:57 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2007 - 07:24 PM

View Postskyhawk133, on 29 Jul, 2007 - 03:41 PM, said:

Did it say they were sueing? I didn't see that but may have misread the article?!

Oh now that wasn't directed at you SkyHawk, it was directed at duffsstuff and his rant about Microsoft and how Google should sue them for doing what seems, at least to me, to be smart business moves
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1