6 Replies - 1160 Views - Last Post: 17 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Fantasy Website Development Questions for You Experts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:34 AM

Hey everyone,

I am working with some friends on a little side project/startup that involves developing a fantasy sports website that has a really fun twist that will set it apart from the more traditional fantasy games. (this is not going to be a gambling site).

We love the idea behind it, but the problem is, nobody involved has a lick of web development experience, or knows anybody that does. So we were hoping to get a freelancer to complete the work within our budget. I've been looking at sites like Freelancer.com, but I honestly don't know what kind of programming expertise we need to be looking for in a freelancer. I was told that this forum site has a great community of people that like to help newbs. So Maybe a friendly Samaritan here might be able to lead me in the right direction!

This is what we need them to design, If you have played fantasy sports before, then you already know what we require)

Here are the basics of what we need designed:

1. This site needs to be built to support hundreds of different leagues, and perhaps thousands of players playing at once.

2. Players will be given logins, and so a registration page will be needed.

3. We will need to setup a payment system to pay the league fees after the player registers. (paypal, etc)

4. They will need to develop a database and distribution system that can receive the stats in the required format from the stat company we choose.

5.There will need to be some sort of database that can be updated via stat company that stores NFL/MLB player's profile pages, and a proper search utility owners can use to look-up fantasy players and their stats.

6. There will be a forum page for discussion and help.

7. There will be a "live fantasy stat" page where league members can view an ongoing fantasy match up as the stats are coming in.

8. There will be a "live draft page" where fantasy owners can draft their players on the site at the beginning of the year.

9. And finally, we would like somebody who has has experience playing and programming pc games.

So based on this bare-bones description, perhaps some one can tell me what kind of expertise a web designer would need to work on a project like this.

*Perhaps you know somebody yourself that might be able to handle a project like this. Please let me know.

Thanks for taking a look!!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Fantasy Website Development Questions for You Experts

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Fantasy Website Development Questions for You Experts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:04 AM

Moving to 'post a job'.

Just upfront - this is going to be an involved project and require people of moderate to advanced skills.... and money. This isn't just throwing up some 'cats that wear tail hatz - lullz' site..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

Thanks for responding, and sorry for posting in the wrong area.

Yes we have done a lot of research on the costs of such a project; paying for the live stats alone is pretty costly. However, the people behind this have a business plan, funding, and have a graphic designer already working on some of the unique design elements behind the project.

The element missing is webdesign. We are hoping to find a freelance operation that has the proper experience with this type of fantasy site, plus the requisite expertise to accomplish what we need.

That's why I came to you guys for a bit of advice on what the requisite expertise would be.

Thanks,

Thanks for responding, and sorry for posting in the wrong area.

Yes we have done a lot of research on the costs of such a project; paying for the live stats alone is pretty costly. However, the people behind this have a business plan, funding, and have a graphic designer already working on some of the unique design elements behind the project.

The element missing is webdesign. We are hoping to find a freelance operation that has the proper experience with this type of fantasy site, plus the requisite expertise to accomplish what we need.

That's why I came to you guys for a bit of advice on what the requisite expertise would be.

Thanks,
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 rgfirefly24  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

I would say that you will want someone with moderate to advanced PHP and MySQL Skills. They should know how to interface with APIs as well. I say PHP and MySQL as PHP is the most common web language and MySQL is almost always the database used in conjunction with it. You can also accomplish this with ASP.NET or Ruby on Rails, but they are not as common for web development as PHP.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 DarenR  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

I would also include someone with JAVA because this web site will most likely get better hits nad views if it was an app.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:33 AM

Thanks for your input fellas; we definitely want to make an app for this as well. I suppose Java is the best way to code an accompanying app for a project like this?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

I would say also including an app would double the costs of this... If I were you I wouldn't invest that much money until I had a larger fanbase. For every 100 regulars on your site... Only like, half would own the OS your app is on? I don't know, that's just a guess. And at that, only a fraction of those will be downloading your app.

What I think you should do instead is also bill your developer for creating a mobile friendly part of the site. It'll hike up the price, but not as much as having two different projects. Then from there with the right connections, it's only a matter of making an app that goes to that site (which should be much cheaper).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1