• (2 Pages)
  • +

21 Replies - 1253 Views - Last Post: 26 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Good 'step up' langauge from VB.NET

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

Hi forum.

I am a student and I am currently studying programming mostly in VB.NET I want to invest myself in a more advanced programming language for when I go out in the world of work. I know VB is good language but it's so easy once you know your way around.
what do you recommend as a coding language to learn?
I was thinking Java or C++ but I don't know what way the programming sector of IT is moving as I do not have experience in the sector other than my college.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Good 'step up' langauge from VB.NET

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Good 'step up' langauge from VB.NET

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

Have you tried looking at the online job boards for your area? That may help you figure out what is going on.. of course I might advocate learning LISP.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

VB.NET is an excellent beginner language and can in some areas lead to some good positions. If you are wanting to move up, I'd recommend C#, C++, or Java. Any of them are still in demand. C# still uses the .NET framework, so while the transitions will involve it's fair share of ground teeth, it won't be completely foreign. I've been taking a few C++ courses in evening college while coding during the day in VB/C#.NET. It's somewhat different, but overall I've moved through it at a fair pace. Much prefer VB or C# myself though.

As for Java, I'll let someone else jump in about that one. I've had a course in it, but personally have no interest outside of development for a few Android Apps.

If you really want to challenge yourself with any language, even if it's just trying to get a better grasp on VB, try out Project Euler.

If you have an interest in languages like Python or moving into the Web Dev world, I highly recommend you take a look at Codecademy.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

I really don't see why you need to care about where the IT sector is 'moving'. Pick whatever one you like the look and learn it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

@modi123_1, Thank you, you've made a good point i'll browse some job board and see what's what.
@AnalyticLunatic, thank-you also i'll probably choose C++ or C# sharp, I mean i have already played with C# and it seemed very interesting.
@Ryano121, Thank-you, But I need to know where it is 'moving' instead of getting molded into a language which does not benefit any prospective employers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

Java will not be a 'step up' since it's the same way of thinking. C++ could work. Someone said (dont remember who) that if the programming language does not make you think about solving the problem in a new way, then no point in learning it - not a direct quote.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

What if it just benefits you?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

Then that'll come into it too.

Thanks guys.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

Fair enough. But i would still argue a new paradigm would push you into having a broader range of views looking at problems.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

Assembly!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

haha, not that low-level.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

I had thought about throwing out some COBOL as a suggestion, but he wanted to go up! ^^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

But I need to know where it is 'moving' instead of getting molded into a language which does not benefit any prospective employers.

Honestly it really doesn't matter if you know a language that is of no benefit to employers. We all do. If you learn a lot of languages, you can easily pick up a new one in a couple weeks. It gets easier.

If you want to go down that road and make your employers happy (which it really probably won't) then go learn Java or C++. They are big pretty much everywhere. But really thats no fun is it? (Or is it, I'm not you). Personally I would go down the fun road and learn something I actually like and not for the sake of shoving on my resume. It really won't make much of a difference.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

Okay.. LISP it is.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

I would look to broaden your horizons.

VB is a .NET language heavy in OO, so C# is a hop across the fence and a bit more socially acceptable.

There are two major paradigms, Functional and Imperative. Imperative is the C and Algol base you're used to. Functional is the land of LISP and other such languages.

If you're looking to get deeper into imperative instead of jumping of the proverbial cliff to enlightenment, I would suggest Ruby or Python. They're flexible languages that are both within the hybrid realm, allowing both styles to be used. Ruby tends to lean more functional and Python tends to lean more imperative if you're going by the communities standards, but both can handle both styles.

LISP is the enlightenment course. It's difficult to understand and truly grasp out of the gate, but once you do it will change the way you view programming and give you one heck of an elitist complex. Joking aside, LISP was built behind the idea of what and why in programming, where OO tends to focus on how. It provides a serious change of venue, and is the best for broadening your knowledge.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +