5 Replies - 506 Views - Last Post: 18 January 2013 - 04:47 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

How to see how many is using it

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

Hello, how can i see how many people are currently using my application?
Like if it is executing, how can i like send something to my mail or even create other app as server to connect to it.
I'd like to know for future applications how many are using it.

Any help?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to see how many is using it

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to see how many is using it

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

All your application would have to do is create a network connection and communicate out to the web somewhere. This can be done with something as simple as a socket / data connection.

Now of course you are going to only be able to track those running the application while connected to the net. Generally it is considered a no no to be tracking users like this and will even scare off people from using the application. People don't like to be tracked in this way and if your app asked for sensitive data (like passwords) then people won't trust it to not transmit their password.

You would be better off just tracking how many people download the application or how many people are signed into a particular service than having the app itself try and send out information on how it is being used.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

Thanks for the quick answer !!

I'm not going to "track" how it's being used, i know these days people don't "want" to be tracked, even thinking most applications/services do track you and know what you're doing, but on the other hand, i just would like to know how many is using, like 10 or 100, not names or particulary Ip addresses log's or nothing, just how many for my knowledge.

Thanks again, i will try and do something like that, i was kinda in the way of connecting to other application like a server, and then displaying how many are online.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

I'm sorry for double post, i was wondering how do i make the app connect to my other app as server or something? To know how many is using it?

But i face a few problems... does my server need to be allways online ? Can't i do it somewayelse to know if it is being used?

The "Download button counter" doesn't work for me cause i'd like to know how many are really using it... a little help would be appreciated, i just said to my server because i would like to make a server when i open it it shows me how many are using it since the last check or something, but it could be anything else.

Thanks by the way.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

Even though this may be for your own personal inquiry.. the tracking people is a big NO. if you can see who is using your program and count the users that also means you have a back door to their computers and you can key log them. Sorry I don't think anyone will help you with this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

It's not like that.... i just want something to show that the app is ONLINE ... even if it's updated once a week, not backdoors, just something for me to know if it's on.
Impossible?

This post has been edited by HeBTeMy: 18 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1