6 Replies - 588 Views - Last Post: 21 January 2013 - 05:53 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Interest in Game programming

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

I'm relatively new to programming in some ways. I just completed my AS in Comp Science last summer and have studied in C++, Java, VB, and SQL. My interest in programming is ever growing and I seek out new challenges, I also have an 11 yr old son who expressed a common interest in learning how to make a 2d rpg. I honestly don't have the first inclination on how to proceed but I do have Visual Studio 2010 and got a copy of XNA 4.0. I keep hearing C# is a preferred language for this kind of project but I have not had the occasion to get into C# yet.
I know that I will of course have to become familiar with C# for it to even matter, and I plan on it. But if someone much wiser than myself had useful input for a programmer with an avid interest in out craft I would be thankful, as would my son.

Thank you for your time and input.
W

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Interest in Game programming

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Interest in Game programming

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

Moved to Game Programming.

The XNA Framework (C#) is a common tool for amateurs and hobbyists. C++ is another common language. If you want to go the C# route, you should check out our C# Learning Series.

You should also check out the pinned New to Game Programming and DIC resource thread.

The other thing that is important to mention is that Game Programming is a lot harder than regular programming for a lot of reasons. It requires a lot of architecture and good design. Make sure you focus on learning a language first before you really delve into Game Programming. A 2D RPG is really a long ways off from where you are now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

You already possess one of the qualities to start developing games, and that is passion. The fact that you're not yet comfortable with regular programming is something that will have to be the top of your list to address.

Game programming takes many trains of thought that go beyond conventional programming, but are ultimately based on the kind of programming that everyone knows and loves.

If it is something that you may wish to take up as a career, you will require a full bachelors degree for studios to take you seriously, even though you have done well with your education so far. The fact of the matter is that the competition is stiff, and they are good competition with a valued skill set.

Good luck, you can do it but you will have to really work very hard.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

Here a few notes about teaching game programming to a kid:

I myself started programming with 10 years.

I had most of my early game development success with a language called 'BlitzBasic'. It was astonishing to write a game with merely a few simple lines of code.

I tried to teach this language to quite a few people (in the age of ~14-16 mostly). The one and only crucial factor for being successful learning a programming language (or game development) is your motivation. Programming games will be frustrating, it will consume a lot of time. But as long as you stay motivated, there is nothing that can stop you!

With BlitzBasic it is pretty easy to stay motivated, because you can see results immediately: Running a program in fullscreen mode requires only 1 line. If you want to draw a spongebog, you merely need to add 2 lines:

Graphics 640,480
img = LoadImage("spongebob.bmp")
DrawImage img, 0,0

And the best: The language is BASIC, which means that you don't have to care about HOW a computer works. You don't have to care about pointers, memory and all those other things that make programming very hard to learn.

You can download BlitzPlus for free here: blitzbasic.com
I could only quickly find this english tutorial, but it seems quite good: http://home.cmit.net...ammingtutorial/
Most about the language I learnt on german websites :(

I hope I could give you a slight impression of a language that I've been in love with for quite a lot of years :-)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:34 AM

To get very basic and abstract, most games, like everything else on a computer use and process databases. In fact they are databases. They store the information for your environments, they store your saved games, they store all kinds of stuff. That makes them the same as most other programs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

Um, no. Games are complicated state machines! There's a huge difference.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:53 AM

we want to have good knowledge in this platform we must have stuff to program a game if we work hard we will acheive
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1