Developer outsources his job to China, surfs Reddit all day.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

34 Replies - 8223 Views - Last Post: 21 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Developer outsources his job to China, surfs Reddit all day.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:51 AM

http://www.theregist...rces_job_china/

---

So this guy outsourced his developer job to a contracting firm in China for a fifth of his six figure salary. And not only that, but he had the mental power to get OTHER jobs, and outsource THOSE as well.

He has upper management written all over him.

ps. Anybody here want to outsource to Bolivia? :lol:

This post has been edited by Sergio Tapia: 16 January 2013 - 06:52 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 2
  • +

Replies To: Developer outsources his job to China, surfs Reddit all day.

#2 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Developer outsources his job to China, surfs Reddit all day.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:08 AM

Sort of a sad story, isn't it? It's almost as if it was made up by someone who could imagine a smart person pulling this off, but not smart enough to imagine a smart person wanting to do something interesting with their time.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:09 AM

The sad part is that this guy (and many others like him) thinks that what he's doing is smart. He'll feel differently when his bosses realize what he's doing and either replace him with another first world coder (because of quality issues) or bypass him and go straight to China. One or the other is bound to happen.

This post has been edited by CTphpnwb: 16 January 2013 - 08:10 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:09 AM

Reminds me of a guy who worked a data entry job... After awhile he realized what he had to do was look at some data with a set of rules and determine if it follows that or not and store it appropriately. So he wrote a bot to do it for him. He was chugging out results in the 99%th accuracy, taking 90% of the bonus check, and totally outdoing his coworkers: all while browsing Reddit.

He wanted to come clean and possibly sell the program to the company, however it was written while he was on the job. Password protected though. He comes clean and gets fired and a lot of calls asking for the password. He goes to his bosses boss and they talk over tea. Turns out this guy was making more than his previous boss was at the time. He was then offered a job as the software engineer for the whole company, which he accepted under the terms that the good workers from his previous job wouldn't be fired and instead, relocated.

Here's the thread:
http://www.reddit.co...mbag_because_i/

Here's the update:
http://www.reddit.co...mbag_because_i/

"I choose a lazy person to do a hard job. Because a lazy person will find an easy way to do it." ― Bill Gates

This post has been edited by creativecoding: 16 January 2013 - 08:10 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:22 AM

Reminds me of a guy who worked a data entry job... After awhile he realized what he had to do was look at some data with a set of rules and determine if it follows that or not and store it appropriately. So he wrote a bot to do it for him. He was chugging out results in the 99%th accuracy, taking 90% of the bonus check, and totally outdoing his coworkers: all while browsing Reddit.

I don't see what his coworkers would be complaining about - apparently they were fine with the checks they were getting, and presumably because this bot was doing all of the work, they would be able to drool into the internet all day as well, if they wanted to.
Or they could get smart and figure out that the job could be scripted, and suddenly, the war is on.

(one wonders, of course, just how much QA this guy's script got - was it actually doing the job correctly?)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

I don't see what his coworkers would be complaining about - apparently they were fine with the checks they were getting, and presumably because this bot was doing all of the work, they would be able to drool into the internet all day as well, if they wanted to.

I don't believe his coworkers were seeing the checks.. only the bot maker.. I would image this skewed the metrics for the team something fierce and (if my old data entry days are a decent barometer) they would have jumped him in the parking lot for screwing up their numbers.

Or they could get smart and figure out that the job could be scripted, and suddenly, the war is on.

That or their jobs are redundant and buh-bye Mr. Paycheck.

(one wonders, of course, just how much QA this guy's script got - was it actually doing the job correctly?)

Typically why these sorts of things are frowned upon. If there are bugs or exploits, by golly, they come from management approved code via The Process.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:29 AM

POPULAR

What I can't believe is that this tard allowed his outsourced people to connect directly to the vpn with his credentials.

He should have set up a proxy through his house, accepted connections there, and passed them through to the office. So the office sees it as him connecting from home, and if his ISP calls HIM and says, "hey you have tons of connections from China", he can tell them "yes, I do a lot of contract work with a partner in China".
Was This Post Helpful? 12
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

It doesn't matter what he does. Proxy or not, eventually his bosses will catch on and then it's game over.

This is the downside of technology in general. Things (software and hardware) are invented either to make something possible or to save labor. Business likes both, but prefers to save labor since that's where the biggest costs are. Unfortunately, that means that eventually technology will put us all out of work. First our jobs ship to low wage, low skill areas, and then they're completely replaced by machines. It's already happened to a large degree in the textile industry. Hell, even cars are starting to drive themselves. Are taxi drivers next? The only question is where will consumers come from when no one has a job?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:51 AM

The only question is where will consumers come from when no one has a job?

Duh.. either the food industry, or we all head out, hand in hand, to space; the final frontier. We will record the voyages of the starship enterprise of our continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds. Perhaps seek out new life and new civilizations. Most definitely we will live like our Soylent Doritos - to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#10 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

View PostCTphpnwb, on 16 January 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

It doesn't matter what he does. Proxy or not, eventually his bosses will catch on and then it's game over.

This is the downside of technology in general. Things (software and hardware) are invented either to make something possible or to save labor. Business likes both, but prefers to save labor since that's where the biggest costs are. Unfortunately, that means that eventually technology will put us all out of work. First our jobs ship to low wage, low skill areas, and then they're completely replaced by machines. It's already happened to a large degree in the textile industry. Hell, even cars are starting to drive themselves. Are taxi drivers next? The only question is where will consumers come from when no one has a job?

And yet, I get strange looks when I point out that the only real problems facing the world economy today are productivity and efficiency and surfeit. If we could lick those, we'd be in great shape.

This post has been edited by jon.kiparsky: 16 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

POPULAR

I immediately thought of this:

Was This Post Helpful? 7
  • +
  • -

#12 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

Also let's not forget the prophetic movie Wall-E on the dangers of getting *TOO* lazy.

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

The future is now!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

View PostCTphpnwb, on 16 January 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

Yeah, proxy or not he may have gotten caught.

Mask or not I may still get caught robbing a bank... but the mask sure helps in upping my odds in getting away.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#15 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

Upping the odds is what it's about, isn't it?
He should have said to his boss, "I've upped my odds... up yours!"
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +