1 Replies - 3246 Views - Last Post: 16 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Mobile App - Should I use Flash or Flex for scalability?

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

Hi guys, a broad question, but as I'm an HTML/Cold Fusion guy, I'm more attracted to the options I see using Flash or Flex from Adobe to develop a simple native app for Android and iPhone. (I've been a Flash developer for years). As opposed to using PhoneGap (still can't figure out exactly).

I had an iPhone version 75% done with Red Foundry Studio, only to find that as good as the iPhone implementation is when compiling, the Android version is bad...can't use it for both.

I see there are ways to convert Flash over to a mobile app via AIR, which I've tried and it worked, but when I Google all of this, it seems like Adobe is pushing everyone over to doing it in Flex instead?

Any suggestions as to which one to use? I don't want to use Flash if they're pushing over to Flex eventually anyway.

Thanks in advance!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Mobile App - Should I use Flash or Flex for scalability?

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Mobile App - Should I use Flash or Flex for scalability?

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

Well first of all Adobe themselves have leaned more to Flex than Flash across the board. Given that iOS also doesn't like Flash, it is pretty sure that Flex would be your best bet.

Now I am going to offer a word of caution, Adobe has been waning a bit on flex as of 2011 and I would be worried that Flex is not the right choice going forward either. If you are not going to build native apps, I would suggest you take a look at HTML5 capabilities which is what most of the mobile web seems to be hedging their bets on. Being that you are an old HTML guy, HTML5 should be right up your alley and you could jump into it as a possible choice for web development for mobile apps.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1