I am curious about getting into game development

• (3 Pages)
  • +

36 Replies - 6578 Views - Last Post: 19 January 2013 - 04:38 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: I am curious about getting into game development

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

also i am looking at my copy of the opengl superbible 5th edition and it uses freeglut, is that bad to learn freeglut if i want to use opengl for game development?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

Why would it be bad? No. It is not bad.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

well seeing as i know nothing about opengl i herd online that the superbible 5th edition uses too much of its own api so now i am in need of a new book to learn opengl Any ideas?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

Look.. you have a book that you haven't read - why not read it? Stop worry about all this extraneous pre-fidgting and get down and so something with what you have!

So they use a custom toolkit.. big whoop. What that does is help simplify concepts and ideas as you interact with the code.. then you take that knowledge and experience, knock off the training wheels of the custom toolkit, and apply it to xna.. opengl.. directx.. sdl.. or what ever. What is important is the concepts.. and as you said - you have no idea what you are doing so maybe.. just maybe.. it's time to get a conceptual view of things.

So no.. using their custom api is not going to corrupt you or ruin your bit colored glasses.. what it will do is provide you with direction and a base to go further.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:34 AM

Thanks, that seems like good advice, it was just one of the concerns I've had, so if after i read this it wont really effect how i would use opengl if i ever do get a game programming job?, and how would i supposedly knock off the training wheels of the custom toolkit later on?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

so if after i read this it wont really effect how i would use opengl if i ever do get a game programming job?,

Why would it? Listen to what you are saying.. you are concerned that a decently reviewed, published book, is going to some how mentally cripple you years down the line? Ah.. no.. unless you are that special type of person that cannot extract concepts and see how the conceptual pattern applies to other areas then I think you'll be fine.

It's like saying "Oh.. I learned to drive this Chevy Volt... but by learning to drive a Volt I have engraved this lesson and cannot learn how to drive a Hummer.. I am mentally crippled and unable to drive any other car ever made.". No.. you learned to drive a car, conceptually, and can apply that to other cars.. even though they are not the Volt. It sounds damn silly, right? Stop over analyzing things.

Again.. seriously... this is called learning... it's not skipping stones up Niagara. Learn like you normally would and you will be fine.. unless there is some larger metaphysical issue you are meandering towards.

and how would i supposedly knock off the training wheels of the custom toolkit later on?

Armed with a concept of how to make a game and seeing the general design, architecture, interaction, and mechanics I would hope you are smart enough to draw parallels when you swing into what ever next library or api you go into. If not.. well this might not be a field for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

i have clearly been over thinking this way too much and now i am certain i can do it, i now understand, it just seemed like that and now i am going to read this book take as much as i can from it keep on learning, thank you very much your insight has been of great help and i cant thank you enough for simplifying things, Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

No problem. Everyone now and then needs a Gibb's Slap to bring some perspective.

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

Very true
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

{

View Postmodi123_1, on 17 January 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

No problem. Everyone now and then needs a Gibb's Slap to bring some perspective.

Posted Image

Firstly, we all need a gibs slap in our lives...
}

Secondly, you said that you dont want to get in to graphics programming, but want to be an engine programmer... Wut? Do you know what an engine is? It is the main tecnology that resides inside a game. The engine controlls everything about a game. If you dont want to graphics program, then your engine will be a server executeable, because thats what a game server is: The game engine without the expensive graphics. In fact, graphical programming is the most important part of an engine, if you want true cross platform synergy, then you need to build the engine with DirectX and OpenGL switchable compatability from day one and build a wraper around the two different API implementations. If you want to be a game programmer then you will, but before you do, you might enjoy graphical prgramming if you try, so try it, you may invent I dunno, err... The next generation of BSP technology or something like that!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

I was tired when i posted the first couple times and was operation on half a brain so i might have accidentally said i didn't want to program graphics, but after more research i am interested in every aspect of game programming, and what i meant be engine was stuff like AI, physics and stuff like that, but seeing as my problem is now pretty much solved i wont be needing much help now for a while with regards to my original post.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

Hi,

It sounds like you could use some introductions to game programming first. I personally don't think that you should start reading heavy programming to make video games.

There are many tools out there, I personally wanted to learn that too a few years ago, and I loved what I learned, so I thought I'd pass this on to you:

You can download Alice, if you're not an expert in graphics design then this program has a few cool graphics and it teaches you how it all fits together.
If you're not a visual learner, and prefer a good/great book to learn game programming step by step, I recommend learning XNA 3.0, granted its prob a bit old, but most of it hasn't changed much, and it allows you to build programs for PC And XBOX! Obviously to deploy to an Xbox it needs a paid license but not to PC!

It does require the most basic understanding of programming, like logic and simple loops/syntax. But from there, the sky is the limit!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:02 AM

i find programming relatively easy and i will look into xna, but now i am going to get some good intro to game programming books, my main problem now is to set up visual studio for use with the opengl superbible 5th edition
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:31 AM

The OpenGL super bible is not a good place to start. If you really want to learn game programming then you're going to have to look at all of the API and platform agnostic stuff first. In other words how to program from a high level.

Ask any game programmer and it's the basics that are important. Knowing a particular API is all well and good, but knowing the underlying best practices and techniques that apply to any language or API is the way forward. Look at OOP and maths along with the way to achieve stuff in both.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:37 AM

would a good intro to game programming book like this be OK:
http://www.amazon.co...58442452&sr=8-3

so then how would you suggest to me i get a good grip in game programming?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +