Why Programmers Work At Night

Page 1 of 1

3 Replies - 726 Views - Last Post: 17 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

• DIC-head, major DIC-head
  • member icon

• View blog

Why Programmers Work At Night

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

Paul Graham wrote about the makerís schedule in 2009 Ė basically that there are two types of schedules in this world (primarily?). The traditional managerís schedule where your day is cut up into hours and a ten minute distraction costs you, at most, an hourís worth of time.

On the other hand you have something PG calls the makerís schedule Ė a schedule for those of us who produce stuff. Working on large abstract systems involves fitting the whole thing into your mind Ė somebody once likened this to constructing a house out of expensive crystal glass and as soon as someone distracts you, it all comes barreling down and shatters into a thousand pieces.

This is why programmers are so annoyed when you distract them.

Because of this huge mental investment, we simply canít start working until we can expect a couple of hours without being distracted. Itís just not worth constructing the whole model in your head and then having it torn down half an hour later.

In fact, talking to a lot of founders youíll find out they feel like they simply canít get any work done during the day. The constant barrage of interruptions, important stuff to tend to and emails to answer simply donít allow it. So they get most of their ďwork workĒ done during the night when everyone else is sleeping.

http://www.businessi...at-night-2013-1

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 3
  • +

Replies To: Why Programmers Work At Night

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Why Programmers Work At Night

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

Is this just a general statement, or is there a question/discussion point I missed?

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DIC-head, major DIC-head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

No, just the article i wanted to share with everyone
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

While I do feel the article is interesting, opening a thread is typically indicative of discussion potential. Short of Captain Obvious pictures pulled from a Google search, I am failing to see much discussion potential here. Thread closed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1