[Link] How to Kill Java dead, dead, dead

• (3 Pages)
  • +

37 Replies - 19841 Views - Last Post: 21 January 2013 - 06:46 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: [Link] How to Kill Java dead, dead, dead

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

Minecraft is the big one for Java. Certainly not sluggish either.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

View Postfarrell2k, on 20 January 2013 - 10:29 AM, said:

View Postquim, on 20 January 2013 - 08:50 AM, said:

View PostGhlavac, on 20 January 2013 - 01:26 AM, said:

You don't need the scene builder to do fx2, also there's already plugins available for eclipse for it.

When i started using JavaFX they didnt have nay Eclipse Plugins, only Netbeans.
Can you share the link?

You don't need any plugins at all. JavaFX is just another Java API. You can create your fxml files and everything through eclipse. No plugins.

Obviously I know JavaFX does not need any plugin to program, but it would be a lot easier if they provided a plugins that integrated with various IDEs.
It would be much easier to setup the environment. I am talking about marketing, making it reachable to more developers
By the way you also don’t need IDE’s to program in Java.
But, do you rather use an IDE, or do you use a notepad instead?
Also, you don’t need the Android Development Plugin.
But, do you rather have one available, or do you prefer wasting time setting up the environment?
Android Development would not appeal to many developers if Google did not make plugin available for developers.
I hope you get my point.

This post has been edited by quim: 20 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#33 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

You have to spend a certain amount of time configuring Android as well. I think if your complaint is that we as programmers are going to have to spend a little time configuring our software to run a new platform, then that's not a good argument against the platform. I don't think the threshold for configuration is that demanding personally.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

In 20 years time, I bet we will still be having debates like these. I say every programming language clan meet up on a desert island and lets just have a fight to the death! There is no perfect language, and I highly doubt there ever will. Most languages will provide a developer with the tools they need to do the job (as long as its not platform dependent, and the developer knows what they are doing). At the end of the day, a lot of times, language choice comes down to preference. If people want to use java, let them use java, and stop all these debates. Last time I checked, java wasnt doing to bad!!!

p.s. people who complain about the speed of java show benchmarks which are 10 years old. Try finding something recent and you will see that java is just as, or even faster in a lot of benchmarks. If you show something thats recent which shows java to be slow, post it here and I am sure many people will be willing to proove you wrong.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

View Postquim, on 21 January 2013 - 01:26 AM, said:

Obviously I know JavaFX does not need any plugin to program, but it would be a lot easier if they provided a plugins that integrated with various IDEs.
It would be much easier to setup the environment. I am talking about marketing, making it reachable to more developers
By the way you also donít need IDEís to program in Java.
But, do you rather use an IDE, or do you use a notepad instead?

You have no idea what you're talking about. JavaFX is just a new collection of libraries. You import jfxrt.jar and tell eclipse where the javafx javadocs are and you have everything available to you that is avaliable to you in netbeans, including code completion. There's nothing stopping you from downloading scene builder either. You and Ryano are way off the mark. All the netbeans plugin does for you is star you with a ready made class ith start() already defined.

I do think Netbeans is the best Java IDE, and it is the only one I use. Just to put that out there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

I don't really see how one goes from 'applets are bad' to 'Java needs to die'. Nor do I see how a Java program running on a virtual machine that runs in user space is any more exploitable than any native application running in user space. In fact, the JVM probably provides some additional protection even if it is imperfect.

Bemoaning applets is like railing against Netscape Navigator or something. I've personally never had to write one in the seven-or-so years I've been doing web development (personal plug: I'm looking for work).

On the other hand, Android seems like a pretty relevant platform that uses Java. I just found out that they actually use a different VM though.

In any case, I don't think Java (the language) is going to 'die' even if Oracle's VM is broken. The language itself is evolving, and looks more like C# with every release.

Think about it: if Java died, where would all of the LimeWire users go? :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

I do think Netbeans is the best Java IDE, and it is the only one I use. Just to put that out there.

I get it. Its all done for you since you use Netbeans.

File -- New Project -- JavaFx -- and BOOM. w/e
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#38 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

I still don't see the big deal about having to configure something. It's not like the configuration is that hard.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +