1 Replies - 793 Views - Last Post: 25 January 2013 - 02:39 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Creating a sidebar for Windows 7 - how?

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

Hi all,

I'm trying to make a sidebar for Windows 7, much like the Google Desktop sidebar. The Google sidebar has functionality where when you open it, it seems to resize the existing windows on your screen "around" the sidebar. So no matter whats open its always visible etc.

Is such a program creatable by VB .NET? I'm just trying to make a basic sidebar with a todo list in it.

Thanks for the help!

Lewis

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Creating a sidebar for Windows 7 - how?

#2 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Creating a sidebar for Windows 7 - how?

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

In *practical* terms: No, its not really do-able. I'm sure someone with a lot of experience could find a way to shoe horn it in. But the point of .NET apps is for them to run in their own space separate from the OS, with limited interaction on a managed level. Like adding a tasktray icon or using FileSystemWatcher to observe a folder.

The type of thing you're describing of forcing all the other applications to think the screen is more narrow than it really is - is the type of interaction deliberately avoided in the managed world.

If all you want is a To Do LIst that stays up while you work on other things why don't you make use of the gadget framework that already exists? Either make a Windows gadget to do list, or get one of the many already available.
http://www.winmatrix...-for-windows-7/

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 25 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1