9 Replies - 334 Views - Last Post: 21 January 2013 - 07:21 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

What is the best option here?

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

Hi all, I and my friend creating the website. He is using PHP, I'm using java. He has to create register/login with mysql and php, and I have to create a program, which looks when user is logged in and do some changes with it(I think this is not the main information you need to know). So what is the best option for me, to get information, if user is logged in and if yes, then what is his nickname? I can easily do the logging form before the program starts, but it looks silly when you need to log in two times. So, what can I do?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What is the best option here?

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What is the best option here?

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

I would just stick with PHP. If you want to use Java for web development, Java EE is the way to go. Really, it would be best for you two to stick to the same language, though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 21 January 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

I would just stick with PHP. If you want to use Java for web development, Java EE is the way to go. Really, it would be best for you two to stick to the same language, though.

The problem is that we can't. This is a school project. And that's why we are using two languages. Because my friend knows php and I know java(maybe not so much, but more than all other). So, what can I do ? :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

The problem is that we can't. This is a school project. And that's why we are using two languages.

I'd be surprised if the project parameters are forcing you all to use two languages.

Because my friend knows php and I know java(maybe not so much, but more than all other).

Bite the bullet and learn PHP. It will make your life easier, and PHP syntax is close enough to Java. Java EE is a pain to learn for a school project, and Java Applets really aren't sufficient.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 21 January 2013 - 10:11 AM, said:

The problem is that we can't. This is a school project. And that's why we are using two languages.

I'd be surprised if the project parameters are forcing you all to use two languages.

Because my friend knows php and I know java(maybe not so much, but more than all other).

Bite the bullet and learn PHP. It will make your life easier, and PHP syntax is close enough to Java. Java EE is a pain to learn for a school project, and Java Applets really aren't sufficient.

Well, I think we can't do what we want with php. not with knowledge we have on php. We have a month left, so I can't learn on php so much.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

This sounds like it would require use of a database and PHP sessions, all of which are very straight-forward. If you are really opposed to PHP, tell your friend that this project should be done entirely as a JApplet or in Java EE. You will have an easier time in PHP, I think. It's not that bad to learn.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

I started reading murach's servlets and jsp roday. Something like this is simple to do in Java. I have only worked in php years ago, but it was just as easy. Pick up the book, or find some online tutorials. There are some good tutorials for Netbeans, if you use that,
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

View Postfarrell2k, on 21 January 2013 - 04:39 PM, said:

I started reading murach's servlets and jsp roday. Something like this is simple to do in Java. I have only worked in php years ago, but it was just as easy. Pick up the book, or find some online tutorials. There are some good tutorials for Netbeans, if you use that,

Having worked with servlets and jsp before, I can say that it seems way easier that it actually is. Programming it might be easy, but sifting through the problems takes awhile. Also if you only use PHP I don't you would have to use tomcat as well.

This post has been edited by ianian112: 21 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

View Postianian112, on 21 January 2013 - 11:44 PM, said:

Having worked with servlets and jsp before, I can say that it seems way easier that it actually is. Programming it might be easy, but sifting through the problems takes awhile. Also if you only use PHP I don't you would have to use tomcat as well.

Yep, tomcat is only a servlet container. I am just learning servlets and jsp. Which common problems have you run into?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

View Postfarrell2k, on 21 January 2013 - 07:16 PM, said:

View Postianian112, on 21 January 2013 - 11:44 PM, said:

Yep, tomcat is only a servlet container. I am just learning servlets and jsp. Which common problems have you run into?

Most of my problems came from url bindingings(maybe eclipse wasnt exporting my war, maybe my web.xml was borked and bindings were bad). After doing some research I left servlets behind and based my web code off of grails.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1