3 Replies - 530 Views - Last Post: 22 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Fixed navbar or not?

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:18 AM

Just a general opinion thread. Do you like fixed navigation bars or do they annoy you? Can't decide if I should have my navbar fixed or not :rolleyes:
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Fixed navbar or not?

#2 Dormilich  Icon User is online

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Fixed navbar or not?

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:49 AM

IMHO, it depends on the overall layout. sometimes it makes sense to use, some other times not.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:57 AM

Depends on how you create it. If done correctly, a horizontal bar at the top of the page isn't that annoying. Though you have to make sure the content will never get "stuck" underneath it; that any content is padded far enough down that even when scrolled all the way at the top, it won't overlap the nav bar. You also need to make sure you remove it on mobile devices. Those screens are small enough already without that eating up screen real estate.

A sidebar is also not too bad, as long as you avoid any sort of elastic or springy animation effects. Those are kind of cool for about 5 seconds. Then they become annoying. Just fix it with CSS and leave it at that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

View PostAtli, on 22 January 2013 - 05:57 AM, said:

Depends on how you create it. If done correctly, a horizontal bar at the top of the page isn't that annoying. Though you have to make sure the content will never get "stuck" underneath it; that any content is padded far enough down that even when scrolled all the way at the top, it won't overlap the nav bar. You also need to make sure you remove it on mobile devices. Those screens are small enough already without that eating up screen real estate.

A sidebar is also not too bad, as long as you avoid any sort of elastic or springy animation effects. Those are kind of cool for about 5 seconds. Then they become annoying. Just fix it with CSS and leave it at that.

I agree that it's really ugly when I minimize the window to a mobile sized screen. I'm trying to figure out some way to make it better, trying to get into all that "mobile-first" design. It's just hard to break the habit of designing for desktop first :P

What would you guys think of this navigation?(Perhaps not finished, might want to add a little to it)
At the top:

Posted Image

Scrolled down a little:

Posted Image

Still not sure if I want it to be fixed :unsure:

Also the mobile version would be just horrible if I wasn't going to fix anything :P :

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1