6 Replies - 264 Views - Last Post: 23 January 2013 - 12:16 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

axFlashPlayer is laggy, any other methods?

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

I have a flash game embedded within my form. Compared to a flash projector or chrome, it's performance is upright unacceptable. I notice things like key momentum (don't know how else to describe it, it acts as if i have held a key longer), as well a low FPS.

Are there any other methods of running a flash game in a form? Using a web browser control didn't noticably change anything so i'm kind of at a dead end here :/

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: axFlashPlayer is laggy, any other methods?

#2 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: axFlashPlayer is laggy, any other methods?

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

If you create a brand new solution that has just the main form and the hosted ActiveX Flash player, are you still seeing the same lag?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

View PostSkydiver, on 22 January 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

If you create a brand new solution that has just the main form and the hosted ActiveX Flash player, are you still seeing the same lag?

Just tried this, yes. Also, i forgot to mention the it creates major screen tear.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:16 AM

Is the ActiveX control size the same size that the flash content was supposed to be, our are you using a different size ?

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:04 AM

View PostSkydiver, on 23 January 2013 - 05:16 AM, said:

Is the ActiveX control size the same size that the flash content was supposed to be, our are you using a different size ?

Yes, 800x600
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

The "screen tearing" could be because of the background of the form being repainted. You can do something about it by disabling the painting of the background, or by enabling double buffering on the form.

As for the actually lagging of the game and input from within your form. I think that you are pretty much limited by your current ActiveX control and the rate at which it can present and process the flash content.

My first guess would have been that your form had custom code that subclassed the window proc, or filtered windows messages, or registered for key previews, but according to your claim that just a vanilla form hosting the ActiveX Flash Player was also lagging then there is not much more you can do.

One last thing to check: if you are on a 64-bit system, make sure that your program is targeted to compile and run as x86 as I believe that the Flash Player is typically distributed for 32-bit only. If you have your program setup as AnyCPU or x64, then the system needs to thunk between 32-bit and 64-bit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

View PostSkydiver, on 23 January 2013 - 10:36 AM, said:

The "screen tearing" could be because of the background of the form being repainted. You can do something about it by disabling the painting of the background, or by enabling double buffering on the form.

As for the actually lagging of the game and input from within your form. I think that you are pretty much limited by your current ActiveX control and the rate at which it can present and process the flash content.

My first guess would have been that your form had custom code that subclassed the window proc, or filtered windows messages, or registered for key previews, but according to your claim that just a vanilla form hosting the ActiveX Flash Player was also lagging then there is not much more you can do.

One last thing to check: if you are on a 64-bit system, make sure that your program is targeted to compile and run as x86 as I believe that the Flash Player is typically distributed for 32-bit only. If you have your program setup as AnyCPU or x64, then the system needs to thunk between 32-bit and 64-bit.

Thanks for this, ill address the things you mentioned when I get home.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1