what skills would i need to write a 3D game?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

21 Replies - 834 Views - Last Post: 01 February 2013 - 10:07 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: what skills would i need to write a 3D game?

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

One thing with programming is to take on difficult challenges that you learn from. Many start out believing that taking on difficult programming challenges that they are not yet ready to tackle is advancement when it isn't, because they are wasting time learning nothing.

When I was learning I always took on challenges that both taught me a lot and pushed me to my limits of understanding pretty much regularly. Anyone's tolerance is unique to the individual, so there are no general guidelines.

Regarding your current skill level, I have no idea how skilled a programmer you are. Games are one of the most advanced forms of software development that is rarely advised for those starting out. I would actually suggest that you focus on algorithms initially, as they will give you an outstanding grasp of a variety of approaches to tackling problems in developing games, as well as making you a better programmer as a whole.

Good luck with your ventures.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

ok i will take this into consideration and instead of rush in head first and try and write a game i will get better at programming, algorithms, math, ect... and i will try again when i have become a better programmer

Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

Awesome. And don't forget to enjoy the learning as you go. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

i will.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#20 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

No, computer science is the theory and application of computer technology. Don't expect a computer science course to teach you OpenGL.

Human-Computer Interaction is a big area of research in Computer Science. My school's CS department has a Virtual Reality lab. I know one of the HCI courses covers OpenGL. Certainly it shouldn't be an expectation that a college nowadays will include OpenGL in the curriculum, but it shouldn't come as a shock either.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if it were taught. Lots of schools teach graphics as part of the computer science curriculum using OpenGL. What my point was is to not assume that it will be taught as part of a computer science program.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 24 January 2013 - 11:00 PM, said:

Human-Computer Interaction is a big area of research in Computer Science. My school's CS department has a Virtual Reality lab. I know one of the HCI courses covers OpenGL. Certainly it shouldn't be an expectation that a college nowadays will include OpenGL in the curriculum, but it shouldn't come as a shock either.

Stop making me jelous before i transfer to your school!

In all seriousness though, im a 2nd year CS student who's looking towards a job in the games industry. As far as math/physics related subject matter, i don't plan on taking extensive physics courses, but i am quite proficient in linear algebra and Calculus to a lesser degree. You don't need a degree but it helps a lot.

My university(up in Canada) actually has 1 or 2 OpenGL courses and i will no doubt be taking these courses in the coming semesters.

It might be useful, if you deicide to pursue a CS degree, to partake in game-related activities in your off-time to gain more knowledge about game development. Personally, i found creating a website(www.sagames.ca) was a great way for me to showcase my work to whomever i meet. I'm actually still crying(not literally, but it feels like it) over my 3d game in the time between my last semester and this semester, my harddrive died on me and wouldn't even boot past my alienware logo, until i ordered a new harddrive, but in the process lost my 900 lines of code that i had so delicatly procured over the past 2 weeks by working 3-4 hours a day. I would kill to extract the data from my dead SATA harddrive and finish the 2 days left of work to complete the game with custom 3d models i had made for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +