2 Replies - 340 Views - Last Post: 25 January 2013 - 06:55 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Need help with Encryption and networking in c#

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

hi everyone

i need some help i have looked at the tutorials on the site and i have looked on Google but can't really find what i am looking for. i would like to make apps using the network API like (p2p file sharing and chat client) but can really find a good tutorial to explain it to me. All i can find is samples of apps but i was hope for a more detailed tutorial or maybe a book ?

i did find a good tutorial about Encryption but i am not sure if it safe to use Triple DES. I Google it and some people say that it is safe but just a bit old and others say it is not safe and to use AES. so what one do i use? and why

also if you know of a good website that can explain Encryption more that would be great :)

thanks a lot :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Need help with Encryption and networking in c#

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Need help with Encryption and networking in c#

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

I hate to keep deferring to Stack Overflow here, but they generally seem to have good answers to hard questions like this. To summarize: use AES because DES is old and 3DES is slow.

http://stackoverflow...yption-for-data

On the other hand, if you are making a chat client or file sharing utility, you will need some way to communicate the key so that the other end can decode the message. This is the case in general with symmetric key encryption algorithms.

This is why we have things like public key encryption:

http://en.wikipedia....-key_encryption

Which is basically a system where I have a decoder key that I keep a secret, and I publish a different key that you can encode messages with and send them to me. The encoding key is public--anyone can see it, but they can only use it to encode messages.

So, you'd need something like that times two. Each party would need its own public and private key. On top of that, you'd need some sort of handshake to make sure you're talking to the right person. That part I'm far more hazy on.

As for the network stuff, there are several 'minimal server in C#' examples on CodeProject that should get you up and running.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Need help with Encryption and networking in c#

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:55 AM

View Postfrankmau5, on 24 January 2013 - 08:16 PM, said:

i need some help i have looked at the tutorials on the site and i have looked on Google but can't really find what i am looking for. i would like to make apps using the network API like (p2p file sharing and chat client) but can really find a good tutorial to explain it to me. All i can find is samples of apps but i was hope for a more detailed tutorial or maybe a book ?

Please don't be mad when I say what this *sounds like* is that you want something that tells you EVERYTHING from start to finish so you can just type all the provided code and you'd have a finished program.

If you need that then you aren't ready to be build a program from scratch. Start smaller and learn more as you work your way up to complex programs like this.

We have tutorials here on how make client/server chat programs.

tlhIn`toqs FAQ said:

Q: ...make a chat or client-server application?
A:Client/server chat tutorial
Peer-to-peer chat

It isn't a complete program you can just type in then market as your own work. It is a lesson for you to learn how network communication works. From there you add steps for transferring files. From there you add in what you learn about encryption.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 25 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1