• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

134 Replies - 4895 Views - Last Post: 01 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Success is my only option failure is not

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

Not really, I'd just prefer to pay significantly less for taking the core subjects such as English at a community college.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

POPULAR

WOOSH
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• sudo pacman -S moneyz

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

Success is my only motherf**kin' option failure is not.

FTFY.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

POPULAR

View Postsupersloth, on 25 January 2013 - 04:05 PM, said:

WOOSH

To be fair most community colleges don't offer Subtext 101. Or the followup course: Reading Between the Lines: 203.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

View PostAhmerjavedC++, on 24 January 2013 - 07:22 PM, said:

Hey Guys!!.. So what are some of your personal success stories?.. Mine personally is the realization of how community colleges suck.

They do? That's certainly news to me. I transferred to a University and found myself far ahead of the other students in "some" areas because I went to a community college first, not to mention I saved a ton of money. The CC I went to had an internship as a programmer as a graduation requirement, and because of this I had a lot of real world experience before entering the University.

As far as I'm concerned, community colleges are an invaluable resource.

View Postfarrell2k, on 24 January 2013 - 08:16 PM, said:

My biggest success so far? Making it through a crappy week of snow in NEPA only to have another one coming up!!!

The snow in NEPA has been wonderful :)/>

This post has been edited by NecroWinter: 26 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#21 Lemur  Icon User is online

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

If your largest accomplishments are built on the backs of others, they're going to collapse as soon as you start throwing those people under the bus. Either that, or you end in Wall St.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

View PostNecroWinter, on 26 January 2013 - 01:25 PM, said:

...The CC I went to had an internship as a programmer as a graduation requirement, and because of this I had a lot of real world experience before entering the University.

It depends, I was ahead of several classes in University only because I took AP courses in high school. That and I actually knew how to program for years before starting because I had an initiative to teach myself. An overwhelming about of people I asked at a local community college here are going there because they failed out of their first part of University. Normally I would applaud their discretion, but they failed because they want an easy degree and soon either barely make it out of community college or fail out of that too.

What I ask you is, how do you know your success is related to the community college? You have demonstrable initiative to gain experience on your own, was the college merely a facility to put it all down on paper? I'm more willing to believe it's because you actually do the work and have determination. I could tell these two types of students apart night and day as I graded their work and spoke to them in office hours.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

View PostWolfCoder, on 26 January 2013 - 03:30 PM, said:

View PostNecroWinter, on 26 January 2013 - 01:25 PM, said:

...The CC I went to had an internship as a programmer as a graduation requirement, and because of this I had a lot of real world experience before entering the University.

It depends, I was ahead of several classes in University only because I took AP courses in high school. That and I actually knew how to program for years before starting because I had an initiative to teach myself. An overwhelming about of people I asked at a local community college here are going there because they failed out of their first part of University. Normally I would applaud their discretion, but they failed because they want an easy degree and soon either barely make it out of community college or fail out of that too.

What I ask you is, how do you know your success is related to the community college? You have demonstrable initiative to gain experience on your own, was the college merely a facility to put it all down on paper? I'm more willing to believe it's because you actually do the work and have determination. I could tell these two types of students apart night and day as I graded their work and spoke to them in office hours.

I started programming roughly around the age of 12 (didnt start college until 22), the professors at the community college did a really good job of breaking the bad habits I got from the hacky tricks I came up with through my child hood. I am more of a self learner, and typically speaking, I learn more on my own than with formal education. But I know looking back, I cant say the professors didn't have an impact on me, and they were very knowledgeable and approachable. I also really like the fact that you need an internship where you have documented proof that you've worked on a project in depth in order to graduate.

I don't necessarily think I couldnt have done it on my own without CC, but they certainly helped me.

There were a lot of slackers in the lower level classes, but they've never made it very far. I know 99% of the people who attend community colleges expect things hand fed to them, and they rarely take advantage of all thats given to them. I didn't make that mistake, and I just really liked my experience. Didn't hurt that because of it I got a lot of jobs and job offers :P/>

This post has been edited by NecroWinter: 27 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

I succeeded in failing epicly at life.

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: 27 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#25 Lemur  Icon User is online

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

Smart people will succeed and find a way no matter where they go to College. Now have you ever considered perhaps you're not that clever?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:06 AM

I'm don't think it's lack of cleverness nor is it even a lack of determination. It's the belief of inferiority that she has which wins in the end. It's the most destructive of these three as it prevents you from overcoming any of them.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

View PostWolfCoder, on 28 January 2013 - 03:06 AM, said:

I'm don't think it's lack of cleverness nor is it even a lack of determination. It's the belief of inferiority that she has which wins in the end. It's the most destructive of these three as it prevents you from overcoming any of them.

I agree with this.

People who succeed are the ones who arent afraid to fail, and they have the nerve to try things that others say they cant do.

Not believing in yourself can result in very stupid mistakes that wouldnt have been made with some confidence.

I've noticed a ton of girls who lack self confidence, and this is why I've seen so many girls drop out of computer related degrees, despite being smart enough to actually understand the material,
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

blah blah blah empty platitudes blah blah blah
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

Is this about NeoTifa's comment? I thought that was just tongue in cheek NeoTifa.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

View PostNecroWinter, on 28 January 2013 - 11:07 AM, said:

...I've noticed a ton of girls who lack self confidence, and this is why I've seen so many girls drop out of computer related degrees, despite being smart enough to actually understand the material,

If you knew me better, you'd be impressed at the intense force at which I shall excuse this sexism as unintentional.

Unlike you, I always make room to assume my observed statistics are not normal (I add phrases like "I'm still sure X exists, I just haven't met them yet"). My higher level graduate computer science courses are nearly split and have much more females than the lower level courses, but this is just an observation on eight classes worth of students or ~100 samples which makes this observation as virtually meaningless as your observation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »