1 Replies - 1087 Views - Last Post: 25 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

AHHH! What Should I Learn?! Rails, Node, or Laravel?

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

Hey All, new to the forums and hoping you can help me out with my dilemma...

So recently I'd been inspired, after having worked for years in front-end, to start learning web development. I had initially thought either PHP/CodeIgniter or Ruby/Rails... but now I've learned about this new contender Node.js, which is written in Javascript (but for backend). The upside being that once you get good with JS you've basically got a "full stack", all with one language, since it's used front end too! The downside is that there are pretty much no jobs out there since it's so new.

(There is also Laravel, which is a new PHP framework that is getting rave reviews.)

Anyways, the point is. Since most of you guys seem to really know your stuff when it comes to all this, which do you suggest I set my focus on: Rails, Node, or Laravel?

My goal is to build a website(s), that will perform a service, that I can eventually start to charge subscription fees for to make extra money (unless they actually make enough to do full-time)... that sort of thing. Also, to eventually get a job as a developer (like I said I've always worked front-end).

Sooooo... I'm hoping for suggestions, with reasons why you think so.... not to just hear "whichever you like". Because I don't want to focus on something, just to realize all the cool kids are using something else. ;)/>

Thanks!!! I look forward to your thoughts!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: AHHH! What Should I Learn?! Rails, Node, or Laravel?

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: AHHH! What Should I Learn?! Rails, Node, or Laravel?

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

Rails is the hot new kid on the block with a lot of power and elegance, and is really heavy in the Boston area. PHP is more of the always been there always will contender.

Node.js I never took remotely seriously because javascript was annoying enough as a front end language to me, and the creator really doesn't have it all together.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1