• +
  • « First

98 Replies - 4808 Views - Last Post: 10 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Brace for impact

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

And we all just pointed out at your attempt to do so, you conveyed a message you didn't intend.

Your choice of words were poor causing the reader to misinterpret what you said. This is not a mistake of the reader, it is a mistake of the writer.

Yey, you clarified yourself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#77 depricated  Icon User is online

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

View Postlordofduct, on 29 January 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

And we all just pointed out at your attempt to do so, you conveyed a message you didn't intend.

Your choice of words were poor causing the reader to misinterpret what you said. This is not a mistake of the reader, it is a mistake of the writer.

Yey, you clarified yourself.

Yep. I can control what I say, but I can't control what you hear(read). The best I can offer is to clarify when you misunderstand.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

You mean when you screw up?

We didn't misunderstand, we understood the words you used rather well. You chose bad words.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#79 depricated  Icon User is online

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

View Postlordofduct, on 29 January 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

You mean when you screw up?

We didn't misunderstand, we understood the words you used rather well. You chose bad words.

I'm not sure you do understand the words I'm using.

I said "Yep." in acknowledgment of your previous post: meaning I agreed that the words I chose were insufficient to convey the meaning I intended. I then noted that when you misunderstand what I mean by what I say, the best course of action I can take is to clarify my meaning.

I could argue that your interpretation was loaded with assumptions, as well, but as I said - what you hear is beyond my control, and I've already clarified.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

I think this is all a misunderstanding...

::snort::
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

Then let me clarify:

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

I always read the book as if it took place at the farm I grew up on.

We had pigs, they were mean, I've seen them take down some of the other animals.

So I ate them.

Two legs strong, 4 legs weak.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

Ah.. so you are part of the "four legs are good, but two legs are better" party affiliation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

View Postsupersloth, on 29 January 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

View PostChoscura, on 29 January 2013 - 07:44 AM, said:

Also, @sloth, betcha $5 I can use anarchy as a tool to get people to do the right thing when they don't have to before June this year.

i thought programmers dealt in specifics. you're gonna do this with your wife and kid? two people does not anarchy make.

More specific, then, but I'm still keeping some of this shit under wraps. For reference, the 'kill piracy' shit is a peer network that has some different assumptions about network behavior, incentives, and consequences (and their enforcement)- but you could get a pretty close idea of what it's turning out like if you pictured publishing (any kind of content) the way you do with youtube, on a system roughly comparable to maybe amazon.com or the iTunes store, and had that all referenced- but not hosted- like it is on the pirate bay's torrent and magnet files.

There's lots of other stuff, there's a couple (big!) parts I'm not mentioning, but that's kind of the environment I'm building, or at least trying to, the way you'd see it from your browser.

So I'll bet you $5 that people will (deliberately) pay for content- either their own, a friend's, or that of a stranger- when they don't have to: and/or they will give away content they own to people that need or want it but can't pay for it, and none of this will have to be prompted, initiated, or even suggested by anybody but the people giving or receiving the content or money. The capability will be there: I bet people will find it and use it without needing to, or having any incentive to.

Also, this isn't the only thing I'm doing- part of the reason it's taking so long- so my wife and kids are fine, and thanks for asking.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

That of course has nothing whatsoever to do with anarchy.
Nice try, though (except for the "nice" and the "try")

EDIT: of course in a voluntary system, there will be some people who voluntarily contribute. There will be some people who make a surprising amount of money at this - this doesn't surprise anyone with a brain in their head. Amanda Palmer was inevitable, it was just not inevitable that it would happen to Amanda Palmer particularly.

This post has been edited by jon.kiparsky: 29 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

Right, except the coercive element normally a part of an economic system is... well, ok, there's some, but it's small, the nature of it makes almost any consequence be very low-impact, the coercion-normally present in the form of things like legal punishment for committing crimes, in real life- is a consequence of the network's structure and the decisions made individually by the rest of the network on the basis of information that gets shared.

It's not so much that it has no laws as it is that it never writes them down, so any time the system wants to 'punish' some member of the network, it has to make up new laws to create a description of what the crime is- including objective data about why it's a crime, and why a given member should be considered guilty of it- and then each member of the network is free to take any action it sees fit. It's part of a security system I'm trying to get working, of all things, that allows the network to respond to damaging behavior of its own members- and it relies on a lack of structure, both for the computers and the humans that are occasionally directing them.

edit: the fact that I'm so bad at explaining this shit is part of why I'm just building the fucking thing. reading through that again, it looks- from the outside- like there's some category error in my description of why this is sort of anarchy, but that superficial error is partially the result of some of the mind-fuck logic that's gone into this (example: categorizing humans and computers together, on the basis that both take actions and make decisions on the network) and partially the result of me being bad at explaining things.

So, on that note, off I fuck again to continue ending piracy. Cheerio!

This post has been edited by Choscura: 30 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

also i already voluntarily pay for content when i'm fully capable of using bittorent to download whatever i want....

so what exactly are you proving again?

(i'll happily take your bet when you give something bet-worthy. hell, i'll take the bet your network doesn't have 2000 unique users by june)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

Even I, who often sides with the pirate parties, actually buys all my software these days anyways.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

View PostChoscura, on 30 January 2013 - 01:34 AM, said:

and partially the result of me being bad at explaining things.

You'll want to work on that. Programming is basically about being good at explaining things.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

@Jon- The difference is that I'm keeping some of this hidden, because I'm being a selfish dick and want to pay for my kids' college and so on. Fuck me, right?

@sloth- I'll take that bet. if it's less than that, I give you $5 cash. If it's more, I'll give you $5 through this fucking thing, because I'll have won another prize. Or we could skip this and bet on whether or not you'll be using this instead of or in addition to other options you've got now (eg- Hulu, Steam, the App store, iTunes music store, etc) before the end of the year.

@WolfCoder- Awesome. You'd be a model user, it seems.

Now, I'm going back to fucking off so I can make this thing and give sloth $5. Cheers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First