9 Replies - 862 Views - Last Post: 28 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Book Suggestions

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:46 AM

I did a quick search and didn't find any pure book suggestion topics and I might as well make a new topic, as any old topics are likely out of date now.

I'm looking for books that will help go from intermediate to advanced, ideally I want books or a series of books that cover the whole of a topic rather than just elements of it. Also in some cases I'm not even sure what to look for

Topics I want to cover:

Java - I'm looking for a book that explains all the different versions, SE, JEE and project types etc and also some explantion of the JVM and runtime etc.

C# - I have my heart set on C# in Depth by John Skeet 3rd Edition which is due out in March, although if there is a better alternative I'll consider it.

Javascript incl Ajax - Essentially just a good reference book.

RESTful web services architecture JSON/SOAP etc

Protocols? No idea where to start on this one, I want to understand what protocols are, what they mean and how they work. Not just hyper text protocols but any common protocol I might come to use.

Sql - I already know at least basic Sql, i'd like to learn more about stored procedures, different collations, engine types, design philosophies and other more advanced areas.

Forgot:

Regular Expressions - I need a beginner book for this

Security - XSS, XSRF the list goes on...

Any suggestions for the above will be welcomed.

This post has been edited by 4D1: 28 January 2013 - 06:59 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Book Suggestions

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Book Suggestions

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:18 AM

Javascript incl Ajax - Essentially just a good reference book.

You can't go wrong with Javascript: The Definitive Guide, by David Flanagan. Excellent! (The section on Ajax is brief but it doesn't require a lot of detail.)

C# In a Nutshell (Publ: O'Reilly) is also excellent, but it is not really a tutorial, so you might prefer to stick with your original suggestion of C# In Depth. I haven't read this (yet) but you might want to check the TOC as, I understand, it is a bit selective about what it covers.

BTW You won't find a single book for either Java or C# that will cover everything that you might want - the subjects are too big! Again, I would check the TOCs to make sure that a book you are looking at doesn't skip an important topic (for you).

I can't help you with the other recommendations.

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 28 January 2013 - 05:19 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:26 AM

I bought a few months ago the old edition of Mastering Regular Expressions (O'Reilly). I haven't the enthusiasm to read it though :whistling:/> - I just make up Regex as I go along :)/>

Edited: You can pick it up for a couple of quid.

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 28 January 2013 - 05:28 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:31 AM

Thanks for the reply andrewsw, I will definitely look at Javascript: The Definitive Guide, I am aware of C# in a Nutshell and it is definitely a consideration but I was swayed towards C# in Depth as I have read a few of John Skeet's answers on SO and I like his simple explanations.

Unfortunately I seem to have OCD as I hate seeing something I know nothing about, every time I fire NetBeans or Eclipse up I see a tonne of project types etc that I know nothing about and I really don't like that.

Edit: I can't even make up Regex as I go along, I have no idea what all the symbols mean and when I try writing one it never captures what I expected it to capture... I need a simple explanation of all the symbols etc...

This post has been edited by 4D1: 28 January 2013 - 05:35 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:41 AM

Unfortunately I seem to have OCD as I hate seeing something I know nothing about, every time I fire NetBeans or Eclipse up I see a tonne of project types etc that I know nothing about and I really don't like that.

I know what you mean, but do you really need a book to explain the different types? (I doubt there is such a book, and it would be out of date.)

A little bit of Googling should sort this out..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:33 AM

For Javascript I feel two books are essential for intermediate to advanced. Douglas Crockford's Javascript: The Good Parts and Stoyan Stefanov's Javascript Patterns. Also check out Addy Osmani's free, but I highly encourage you to donate to the ongoing work, Learning Essential Design Patterns. Osmani builds on a lot of Stefanov's ideas by going a step further with more advanced ideas such as frameworks like Backbone and using require.js.

Sorry these don't include Ajax. I haven't done a ton of reading on it but I have skimmed through a copy of Head Rush Ajax from O'Reilly. Generally the Head Rush and Head First series are pretty good.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:57 AM

@ThrowsException The link looks very interesting will have a read of that at some point, and will also check out the books you mentioned.

View Postandrewsw, on 28 January 2013 - 05:41 AM, said:

A little bit of Googling should sort this out..

lol, yes it would but I would probably never have the enthusiasm to do it... If it was in a book it would be forced upon me. Not a book solely on project types, but if a book on Java covered the different types.

This post has been edited by 4D1: 28 January 2013 - 07:02 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

Not to mention if you check in the language specific 'advanced' sections we have recommended books.. and in the general help section we have a least two posts a week with people that believe they have snowflake-esque needs that totes can't be addressed with the pinned book threads.

As for regex it's pretty much just a list of symbols and a test site for your needs:
http://regexlib.com/...CookieSupport=1
http://www.regextester.com/
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:59 AM

If you want to really understand Java, the Language Spec is probably pretty important. I know it's not a "how-to" but it's definitive. The best thing for a soup-to-nuts understanding of Java is probably to take a compilers course and write the compiler for it.
If that's not going to happen - which is reasonable - There are a few good resources. Joshua Bloch's Effective Java, as I recall, was pretty useful.

I'm pretty sure that you'd do best to pick one or two of these topics to start with. This grab-bag approach doesn't usually get you where you need to be.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

@jon.kiparsky that is a good suggestion I'd love to try and write a compiler for Java whether i'd succeed is a different story but I will look into that. I'm under no illusions that I will read all these books from cover to cover. I just prefer to learn by reading books, rather than online resources and I will use a book as a reference in the future. I think I understand enough to just cherry pick sections of interest. I often find that a book covers things that are missed even in the best online resources.

@modi123_1 I wasn't aware of that, the DIC search only brought up beginner book requests or requests from 2010, at least 2 or 3 of the topics I am interested in have evolved significantly enough since then to warrant a revised edition of any book.

This post has been edited by 4D1: 28 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1