10 Replies - 581 Views - Last Post: 28 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

UK Basketball Funding

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

Hi

I appreciate that most of you are from countries other than the UK, but recently UK Sport cut the funding for basketball coming up to the next Olympics to nothing. I know we sucked, but the sport not having any funding with impact participation in general, I thoroughly enjoy it and Referee as well as play so would hate to see even fewer people taking part.

If you live in the UK and/or enjoy Basketball, please could you sign the petition below which aims to get it debated by the government and hopefully at least some funding returned:

https://submissions....petitions/43456

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: UK Basketball Funding

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: UK Basketball Funding

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

I'll be sure to get right on it..
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

So.. what is different from that petition for a debate versus what ever this Chesterite is doing?

Stephen Mosley, the Conservative member of parliament for the city of Chester, has secured an adjournment debate in Parliament on "Funding for Basketball" which will take place on Monday night.

http://www.guardian....tish-basketball
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

Duh, petitioning is yelling with text, whereas "secur(ing) an adjournment" is... something different.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

Gotcha.. I was getting pissed by the lack of information surrounding the hysterics for the Brit-B-ball team.. so after some digging it looks pretty amusing.

Side side note - why is this news now? They knew well over a month ago.

18 Dec 2012
“We knew the criteria that UK Sport were applying for Rio, but having been funded to the tune of £8.5m in the lead up to the London Olympics because of the sport’s medal potential for the future, this is a devastating decision and is a waste of that investment, " says Roger Moreland the performance manager of British Basketball
cite1

Also why is there no one that cares about wrestling or ping-pong? Screw this basketball business.

Some of the sports held up as the biggest crowd-pleasers and legacy drivers during the London Olympics have had their funding cut altogether ahead of the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Games. Table tennis, wrestling, handball, basketball and indoor volleyball have had their financial support withdrawn by UK Sport, while beach volleyball will receive just £400,000 over four years to fund the women's team.
cite2

Thankfully I was able to track down a 'why'. Lack of performance and medals means lack of funding. A simple quid-pro-quo.

The elite-sport funding agency was forced to defend the tough decisions on minority sports, made under its "no-compromise formula" that targets public money only at genuine medal hopes, at a time when the Olympic legacy is under scrutiny.

"I think people understand that when you host a home Olympics you have to put teams out in every single sport. Bizarre though it sounds to say it now, the rationale is to drive ticket sales," said the sports minister Hugh Robertson. "When people look at it, they know that is done on a performance basis. There is not a lot of point at this level, funding teams that are not going to qualify for the Olympics."
cite2

To be fair:

Thirty-five sports across the Olympic and Paralympic programmes received increased funding, with just seven suffering a decline.
cite2
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

View Posth4nnib4l, on 28 January 2013 - 05:36 PM, said:

Duh, petitioning is yelling with text, whereas "secur(ing) an adjournment" is... something different.

Pretty much...it means that if the petition gets enough support they actually have to vote on whether to do something or not where as an adjournment debate, is just them talking about it but not doing anything.

Thankfully I was able to track down a 'why'. Lack of performance and medals means lack of funding. A simple quid-pro-quo.

Plenty of sports didn't meet their targets but got more funding, ideally Sport UK will reconsider their "No Compromise" approach, but that's a long shot.

A site with a bit more info http://www.fundbritishbasketball.com/ (but of course it's just lots of people supporting on there)

This post has been edited by pietomb00: 28 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

definitely thought this thread was gonna be about kentucky.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#8 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

Wrong accent.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

Table tennis, wrestling, handball, basketball and indoor volleyball have had their financial support withdrawn by UK Sport, while beach volleyball will receive just £400,000 over four years to fund the women's team.

Well I'm sure it was a bit embarrassing for all of those white girls to have to stand next to the Brazilians in volleyball shorts...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

Eh..awkward Brazilian moments do happen.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

View Postsupersloth, on 28 January 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

definitely thought this thread was gonna be about kentucky.

You weren't the only one supersloth :hmmm:

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1