4 Replies - 2148 Views - Last Post: 14 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Devising Online Monikers and Website Names

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

As I move along in my career, I want to be able to have a personal online presence - website, Twitter, blog (maybe), etc.
To do that, I need to have names, so that I can direct people to www.mywebsite.com, which would basically be a personal website with my resume info and other info about myself that would be of interest to potential employers or colleagues. Give them my e-mail (chris@mywebsite.com). And, of course, be able to blog and tweet as MyWebHandle, so that it becomes known.

I'm sure there are other CS and software students looking to do the same. As such, do you have any ideas/advice for how one might come up with these site names and online monikers? Names and IDs that will communicate that someone is interesting and worth taking seriously? That will make people think not only "he knows his stuff" but also "I could see myself working with that guy." And, maybe even show off a bit of your personality or uniqueness!

There are so many angles one could take: strictly professional (www.sharpcode.com), geeky (DarkLordFrodo), whimsical (HackyPotter), childish (MrSillyButt), over the top (www.HacksOfDoom.com), and so forth. Are there any guidelines to follow? Any DOs or DON'Ts? Any wisdom gleaned from experience?

(For other students and newbies to the industry, do any of you ever think about similar things? Or have similar or related questions?)

Your thoughts are very much appreciated, thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Devising Online Monikers and Website Names

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Devising Online Monikers and Website Names

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

I'm not some marketer, and if you're looking for a suggestion based on numbers out their to increase how well a customer based would take you, you should ask a marketer. If you're looking for something like that though, it's professional you're shooting for, so it's probably professional (with a hint of playfulness) you'd go for.

If you want my opinion.

Do what represents you.

Lord Of Duct has been my monicker on the internet for over 15 years. And in my opinion, it says everything I want said about me... said about me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

I like Lemurs. People found out about my slight obsession and a nickname was born.

A name is what you make of it. For instance, Tender Loving. He's one of the largest contributors to Ruby and one heck of a coder, but with a name like that it does honestly raise a few eyebrows. He proved his knowledge, and now that name is associated with that knowledge.

The name is what you make it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

Thanks for your input, guys. I particularly like your suggestion about "professional (with a hint of playfulness)"...good stuff! :bigsmile:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

You could use my approach, I suppose.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +