4 Replies - 1282 Views - Last Post: 29 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Sql server on Dual boot windows

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:18 AM

Hey guys,

I have dual boot, windows 7 and windows 8. I have installed sql server on windows 7 and i want to access sql server from windows 8. Don't have any idea how to do that. is it possible or no.

I though one thing that i should restore database from windows 7 into 8 but, it will make copy of that database in windows 8 separet. If i make some changes in database from 7 or 8,it should be in done. I mean there should be only one database file accessible by sql servers of both operating systems. I hope i explained enough to make you guys understand.

Thanks In advance!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Sql server on Dual boot windows

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Sql server on Dual boot windows

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:52 AM

I have dual boot, windows 7 and windows 8. I have installed sql server on windows 7 and i want to access sql server from windows 8. Don't have any idea how to do that. is it possible or no.

Stop.. think about what you are doing. You are dual booting.. aka having two separate environments. This isn't like having two machines hooked up to each other, or one OS running in a VM while the other is on... no.. this is one or the other. If you need a DB to be accessible to both then you need a second machine to run a SQL Server.. or you need to install and run one of your OS environments in a virtual machine then finagle the DB server setup to route right.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:04 AM

what if i use attach option. and i will give path to other windows.

and there is another problem, i cant install sql server on windows 8. i even tried sql server 2012 but it does not work. it starts extracting and asks for permission to run i click yes and nothing appears after that,
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

what if i use attach option. and i will give path to other windows.

What? I am not sure what you are telling me there but I do know the 'other windows' isn't operating when you dual boot. It is an either/or. Either one is running (and the other is not) or vise versa. The two OSes are *NOT* running at the same time when you dual boot.

and there is another problem, i cant install sql server on windows 8. i even tried sql server 2012 but it does not work. it starts extracting and asks for permission to run i click yes and nothing appears after that,

Run it as admin? I don't know what you are doing, but I have installed MSSQL Express on Win8 with no problems.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

Yeah other OS is not operating when one OS is operating. Only one OS is loaded in memory and it operates. When i will attach the file. the database of win8 will use the same file as the database of win7 will use it.so, I think so it does make sense.

And i am trying to install SQl server in windows 8 but its not working. I know it sounds stupid, but that's the thing happening with me. When all the data is extracted from file and setup starts,only black command prompt window flashes and nothing appears. i also activated windows features for .net in control panel. But its not working.

Dunno what's the Problem. Please Help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1