9 Replies - 358 Views - Last Post: 30 January 2013 - 08:55 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

WINDOWS OFFICE KEY RETRIEVAL - SOMEONE LOCKED MY LAST POST

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

Hello - Someone locked my last post so I am reposting my question because I cannot reply to why I want to pull Windows & Office keys. First of all, just because you want to retrieve keys does not mean you want to re-use them. Look at Magic Jelly Bean Key-Finder for instance or Enchanted Key Finder. Would you close a thread for the developers of those programs asking how to retrieve the keys? Also, I am retrieving this because the organization I work for needs to retrieve its keys across its large network for archival purposes. Due to the size and scope of the organization using Magic Jelly Bean or using something that isn't developed in house is not condusive. Also, just because you retrieve your key does not mean that Microsoft will honor you using that key on another machine (This is not the year 2000). They keep track of who has what keys. Another thing too, just because you know the decryption algorithm for getting the keys does not mean that you are going to know how to create a key generator either. Thank you! -

The question was how to retrieve MAK Office Keys.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: WINDOWS OFFICE KEY RETRIEVAL - SOMEONE LOCKED MY LAST POST

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: WINDOWS OFFICE KEY RETRIEVAL - SOMEONE LOCKED MY LAST POST

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

just because you want to retrieve keys does not mean you want to re-use them.

Remember - this is a two way street. Just because you say this doesn't mean you are not going to be all sorts of malicious about it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 30 January 2013 - 10:34 AM, said:

just because you want to retrieve keys does not mean you want to re-use them.

Remember - this is a two way street. Just because you say this doesn't mean you are not going to be all sorts of malicious about it.

You really are missing the point though. Even if that were the case (I wanted to be malicious) I Could download Magic Jelly Bean Keyfinder etc. It already beats people to the punch so that they can download those programs for free to be 'malicious' about the keys. All a person would have to do is download that program get the key and try it on another machine etc. They will run into what thousands of others have done. Anyways, the difference is that Microsoft changed the algorithm for the newer versions of Office. I already had the code working for the older versions of Office and if you go to Enchanted Keyfinder's website they give the open source code for projects. Either way just because you can decrypt the key doesn't mean you know how to encrypt the key.

As a footnote - there are legitimate reasons even for home users to get their OEM keys. Perhaps Dell or Gateway (in the newer versions of Office) did not give them the key because they ordered straight from them and now their computer crashes and they cannot get the information from Microsoft or they get the computer from Best Buy but decide to beef up their PC so they lose the sticker on the case after an upgrade so they need to key to upgrade or move the Office install to another hard drive. Has nothing to do with being malicious at all.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

View Postkyle_denney, on 30 January 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

Also, I am retrieving this because the organization I work for needs to retrieve its keys across its large network for archival purposes.

I absolutely do not believe that you work for an organization with a large network. I don't know what you're doing, could be anything, could even be legitimate, but if you work for a serious organization I will eat my hat.

When you're asking smart people to help you because they know stuff, you should probably not try to play games with them - if they can't see through something as transparently bogus as this, they certainly aren't smart enough to help you.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 30 January 2013 - 10:58 AM, said:

View Postkyle_denney, on 30 January 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

Also, I am retrieving this because the organization I work for needs to retrieve its keys across its large network for archival purposes.

I absolutely do not believe that you work for an organization with a large network. I don't know what you're doing, could be anything, could even be legitimate, but if you work for a serious organization I will eat my hat.

When you're asking smart people to help you because they know stuff, you should probably not try to play games with them - if they can't see through something as transparently bogus as this, they certainly aren't smart enough to help you.

Well,

I guess you better start eating the hat because the organization has roughly 700 PC's and several off-site locations from their main facility. Either way, the code is simple enough. There are several algorithms out there (A1VBCode's site for example) that have the old algorithm for decoding Microsoft's keys. There is nothing wrong with gathering that information. You purchase the product and register the license key therefore being able to get to that information is a no-brainer. All that you have to change is the range of bytes being searched for: here is an example:

Dim lowerRangeOfDigiHexID As Integer
            Dim upperRangeOfDigiHexID As Integer
            Dim B As String = ""
            Dim C As String = ""

lowerRangeOfDigiHexID = 52
            upperRangeOfDigiHexID = 67

Dim F(24) As String
            Dim G As Integer = 29
            Dim H As Integer = 15
            Dim J(15) As String
            Dim K(30) As String
            Dim L As String = ""

The lowerRange and upperRange variables change for the newer versions of Office from 52-67 to 808-822. Nothing malicious. Even if you can decrypt the keys it doesn't mean you can ever encrypt them especially since you do not know the AES key password or RSA password if they are using either one of those methods. Simply put, I am smart enough to figure it out and have figured it out. This will allow for using WMI to pull across a network all the keys from remote registry as long as remote registry is turned on within the network. There is nothing being hidden or done illegitimately. Have you ever thought that 'smart' people would know ahead of time that getting the Office or Windows key is a legitimate concern within an organization. It is called an audit - something that if you don't have proof of your registration then you can get into huge fines/fees and lots of legal issues. If you wanted to offer something other than criticism it might be helpful but telling me my question isn't legitimate and that my organization doesn't exist isn't the way to do it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

Maybe then you're smart enough to explain to your "large organization" that it's a lot easier to keep track of these things as the machines are set up than to send an intern out to try to hunt them down after the fact.
That's what actual large organizations do, anyway.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 30 January 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

Maybe then you're smart enough to explain to your "large organization" that it's a lot easier to keep track of these things as the machines are set up than to send an intern out to try to hunt them down after the fact.
That's what actual large organizations do, anyway.

First off, I am not an intern. I am not going to go from PC to PC to try to 'track' them down (did that when I was an intern and now that I am in my field professionally I am not going to again). Secondly, many of the mistakes of the organization just as many other large companies that have been around for years have done - did not keep good records of out-dated Windows / Office data. For whatever reason they didn't albeit yes they should but no large organizations that have multiple installations in the newer versions of Office and Windows do not need to keep track of this because they buy the Volume License Keys (VLK's). They have one key and purchase it for however many installations they need and that will work for them. However, the organization I work for has many different departments and the IT department does not hae the authority within this organization to direct what each department purchases in some aspects therefore they have multiple versions of Office and multiple versions of the keys. Therefore, it is needed to have remote access to this key information.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding Geezer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

Simply put, I am smart enough to figure it out and have figured it out. This will allow for using WMI to pull across a network all the keys from remote registry as long as remote registry is turned on within the network.

Well then, go for it!

Have you ever thought that 'smart' people would know ahead of time that getting the Office or Windows key is a legitimate concern within an organization. It is called an audit - something that if you don't have proof of your registration then you can get into huge fines/fees and lots of legal issues.

If you're smart enough to figure out that stuff, I would bet that you are smart enough to realize that there is no reason to believe that the advice you seek is for a legitimate purpose. Because you say it's legitimate is no proof at all, and you will not be successful in convincing those that are also concerned with legal issues to put up any advice on the subject.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

http://recover-keys.com/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

I am closing this. A "large" company pays a lot of money for a license, it is in their best interest to keep a record of keys.

if this other software is open source and your smart enough, modify the code to suit your needs.

we have no way of knowing your intentions and I am not taking your word for it.

end of discussion.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1