• (5 Pages)
  • +

73 Replies - 3154 Views - Last Post: 08 February 2013 - 12:51 AM

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Would you take this deal?

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

That and because everyone in the community works on Linux, you end up with like 4 different window toolkits, 3 different sound systems, etc. There not being a an authority to choose one standard for all is as much a bad thing as it is good.

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 03 February 2013 - 11:49 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:42 AM

And this is why distro wars exist.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

View PostGahhruuba, on 03 February 2013 - 06:18 PM, said:

I dont own an Xbox because of that feature... Monthly fee to update your operating system that you paid probably over a hundred bucks for?
No thank you.

... what? how is that related to the xbox?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

View Postcreativecoding, on 03 February 2013 - 08:18 PM, said:

Except for the fact that the people working on Linux aren't on a payroll. Xbox Live Gold/Windows OSes cost money because hundreds of people who manage thousands of servers and lines of code need to get paid.

Nonsense. The number of commercial developers (red hat topping the charts) who've contributed to the Linux kernel has increased quite a bit since 2000. The fact that their contributions are free to the world has not stopped them from being paid for their efforts.

It is clear that by committing a portion of an organizations resources to the continued development of the most awesome project ever is in the best interests of everybody.

Indeed, most kernel developers (today) are paid to develop free components of the kernel.

Microsoft, on the other hand, has to be creative with how they separate fools from their money and liberty because their products are not special, nor suitable for any particular purpose, but they decided to build a business around it anyway.

I feel as though you're being defensive as a result of some sort of stockholme-syndrome-esque phenomenon, for which I apologize for the trauma you've suffered at the hands of fellow (albeit evil) human beings. Nothing I say could ever undo what has been done, but you should know that there is a life of empowerment, liberty, and respect available to you should you ever wish to regain your dignity and sense of well-being.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#35 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

View PostPython_4_President, on 04 February 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

I feel as though you're being defensive as a result of some sort of stockholme-syndrome-esque phenomenon, for which I apologize for the trauma you've suffered at the hands of fellow (albeit evil) human beings. Nothing I say could ever undo what has been done, but you should know that there is a life of empowerment, liberty, and respect available to you should you ever wish to regain your dignity and sense of well-being.

At first I was like..woah.. this post might sincerely go through with out being creepy, trollish, or flamebait... then that last paragraph was there to restore balance to the world.

Kudos on continuing to be a patronizing troll.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

POPULAR

Stop assuming you're smarter than everybody else. You're not. And that fact that billion dollar businesses have been built using Microsoft technology shows that their products are suitable for a particular purpose. You hate Microsoft, we get it. So do a lot of geeks. Nothing wrong with that. But when you allow that hatred to intermix with your superiority complex (we know that your mommy told you that you're the smartest and bestest kid ever) and your lack of exposure to the physical world, then you end up making silly statements that just show your ignorance.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

/drops mic
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

View Posth4nnib4l, on 04 February 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

Stop assuming you're smarter than everybody else.

I don't.

You're not.

I know.

And that fact that billion dollar businesses have been built using Microsoft technology shows that their products are suitable for a particular purpose.

No it doesn't.

You hate Microsoft, we get it.

You got something you shouldn't have.

So do a lot of geeks.

??????

Nothing wrong with that.

Yes there is.

But when you allow that hatred to intermix with your superiority complex (we know that your mommy told you that you're the smartest and bestest kid ever) and your lack of exposure to the physical world, then you end up making silly statements that just show your ignorance.

Conclusion built from faulty premise is faulty.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

Nonsense. The number of commercial developers (red hat topping the charts) who've contributed to the Linux kernel has increased quite a bit since 2000. The fact that their contributions are free to the world has not stopped them from being paid for their efforts.
Indeed, most kernel developers (today) are paid to develop free components of the kernel.

I'd like you to expand on that. Who are these companies? Where is this money coming from? Are these hired developers even being paid above minimum wage? And in case you didn't realize, Red Hat charges money for most of it's products. As far as I know most work on free, open-source Linux distros is volunteered.

Microsoft, on the other hand, has to be creative with how they separate fools from their money and liberty because their products are not special, nor suitable for any particular purpose, but they decided to build a business around it anyway.

You're going to have to expand on this as well. Are they being creative by making good operating systems? Wow, who knew?

Uh, what? I'm afraid I don't follow how these thinly veiled insults have to do with using Windows.

I tried Linux twice. Once with Ubuntu and once with Fedora, both over multiple months. I'm not brainwashed into thinking one OS is superior to another (unlike you). I like having the ability to install applications instantly without the need to compile them first. I like having the ability to work on stuff and have it work without having to fidget with settings and options and other programs. And I like having an OS that works with 100% with my hardware, and I'm willing to pay ~$200 for these things.

So yeah, I'm wondering how I have no respect, no dignity, and no sense of well-being?

This post has been edited by creativecoding: 04 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

Really? I can do that shit too. I'm not sure how constructive it is, but I'll play along.

View PostPython_4_President, on 04 February 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

Stop assuming you're smarter than everybody else.

I don't.

You act like it. Constantly. And you make statements referring to everyone else as being less smart than you. If you need me to cite specific instances, then you should reread your posts and maybe talk to somebody.

You're not.

I know.

Just putting something here because it looks like that's how it works...

And that fact that billion dollar businesses have been built using Microsoft technology shows that their products are suitable for a particular purpose.

No it doesn't.

So explain enterprise-level success using Microsoft products.

You hate Microsoft, we get it.

You got something you shouldn't have.

Well then please clarify your feelings toward Microsoft and their products.

So do a lot of geeks.

??????

!!!!!!

Nothing wrong with that.

Yes there is.

Jesus, this is tedious and petty. What is wrong with that? Should people not be free to hate whatever they like? Hating can be fun.

But when you allow that hatred to intermix with your superiority complex (we know that your mommy told you that you're the smartest and bestest kid ever) and your lack of exposure to the physical world, then you end up making silly statements that just show your ignorance.

Conclusion built from faulty premise is faulty.

My premise was built from months of observation and interaction, and that statement is not necessarily true anyway. The means by which someone reaches a conclusion has no bearing on the validity of said conclusion.

This post has been edited by h4nnib4l: 04 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

can't someone just give p4p a timeout or something already?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

View Posth4nnib4l, on 04 February 2013 - 05:24 PM, said:

Hating can be fun.

Indeed. For instance, I hate all of you, and I'm having a blast! :D
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

View Postcreativecoding, on 04 February 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

I'd like you to expand on that. Who are these companies? Where is this money coming from? Are these hired developers even being paid above minimum wage? And in case you didn't realize, Red Hat charges money for most of it's products. As far as I know most work on free, open-source Linux distros is volunteered.

Greg Kroah-Hartman explains it well.

Flip to 19:00 if all you want to see is that. I'd recommend watching the entire thing, and also searching for more information. I'm not sure what RH making money off of things has to do with anything.

#1 You're going to have to expand on this as well. Are they being creative by making good operating systems? Wow, who knew?

#2 Uh, what? I'm afraid I don't follow how these thinly veiled insults have to do with using Windows.

#3 So yeah, I'm wondering how I have no respect, no dignity, and no sense of well-being?

These points require a bit of introspection on your part. My meaning should be obvious.

I tried Linux twice. Once with Ubuntu and once with Fedora, both over multiple months. I'm not brainwashed into thinking one OS is superior to another (unlike you). I like having the ability to install applications instantly without the need to compile them first. I like having the ability to work on stuff and have it work without having to fidget with settings and options and other programs. And I like having an OS that works with 100% with my hardware, and I'm willing to pay ~$200 for these things.

Hmm... notes on operating systems vs each other... They all do the same thing, mostly the same way. One doesn't assume you're an idiot, does as much as it can to empower you, does little to restrict you, and also, in a general sense, leaves wallet-matters to your discretion (and the developers of which certainly wouldn't sue schools.).

While I donate several hundred dollars a year to various projects I love the hell out of, I know that if I __DIDN'T__ I would not risk fines, imprisonment, or loss of functionality. That's the important part, there.

As far as the ease of use and hardware compatibility... It kind of sounds like you've never actually used Linux.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For handog:

How I view Microsoft's products:
From clients to servers and operating systems, nothing special. The key difference between them being price, bugs you can't fix without reverse engineering (in violation of the EULA, perhaps) the application, scary license agreements, and annoying sales people/commercials.

Enterprise level success:
Sure, Company A buys a text editor for 100$ and does some crazy shit with it that generates an income in the billions of dollars.

Company B does the same thing with a free text editor.

Hooray for options...

Hate:
It's bad, mmkay?

Conclusions:
Someone's been reading Dialectica Eristica. Never the less, your conclusion is wrong.

This post has been edited by Python_4_President: 04 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

it doesn't sound like anybody has used anything.

This post has been edited by supersloth: 04 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

View Postsupersloth, on 04 February 2013 - 04:37 PM, said:

it doesn't sound like anybody has used anything.

It does when you use text to speech!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +