2D game vs 3D game

• (2 Pages)
  • +

24 Replies - 1069 Views - Last Post: 07 February 2013 - 10:27 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

2D game vs 3D game

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Hi,

My family is planning on a family project to make a game. So far, we've gone through some of the Contruct 2 tutorials on gamedev.tutsplus.com as a start. Reading some of the threads in here, such as the stickied game resource thread, I'd like to get some of your opinions on what to look for in an engine, or if we should look into making our own engine.

What we're planning is a spacerangers 2 (awesome game, wish it was supported on Win7+) type game, and we haven't worked out anything as of yet on how to build it, we're just learning. Main question, since it'll be a space game, should I make it 2D or 3D, and how much difference is there between 2D and 3D as far as development goes?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: 2D game vs 3D game

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: 2D game vs 3D game

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

Almost all of what you're asking cannot be answered because we have no idea of your team's programming skills. What languages do you know? What is the intended platform?

Yes, there is a huge difference between developing 2D and 3D games.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

Me personally, I know C/C++, Java, VB, perl, but I've never done any game programming. On the other hand, my family members know Jack Squat about Diddly Squat. We do homeschooling for all my kids, so this is a learning excercise for all of them, to try to get them interested in something besides playing games and youtube.

I am helping guide them in what to learn once we start the development process, since I'm somewhat more programmitically inclined and acclimated. They've been pretty enthusiastic so far with Construct 2, but I don't think that software will accomplish our goals fully, and if I have to purchase something, I'd like to have some products in mind beforehand.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

We do homeschooling for all my kids, so this is a learning excercise for all of them, to try to get them interested in something besides playing games and youtube.
They've been pretty enthusiastic so far with Construct 2, but I don't think that software will accomplish our goals fully,

I would imagine that is a large part of figure out up front - what do you want them to get out of it? Is it just for the nebulous 'lullz', or is this reinforcing some concept?

Crap goals get'cha no where, right?

You may want to skim through some of the article links I've posted (especially this one: http://www.dreaminco...e-game-a-month/ ) and it might help get an idea what to do and how to limit the fuzzy nebulous into a solid nugget of an idea that can be accomplished.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

We have a pretty concrete idea as far as concept, the details we won't be able to really work out until we decide what engine to use.

The ultimate purpose of this is to show the kids, you can have an idea, you can have a dream, but they don't just happen on their own, it will take a lot of effort to make it come true. They need to know there's a place to start, and that place is in fact-finding.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

I'm thinking that the actual game programming skill is not strong enough to get something complete in a reasonable amount of time. Have you looked at anything like Game Maker?

http://www.yoyogames...amemaker/studio

I believe you can make a game without programming. Maybe after some games with this then the challenge of programming can be taken up later.
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

You know, that's the beauty of life, you're not born with anything other than base abilities, you gain everything over time. If you're doubting my capabilities, which it more or less sounds like you are, I hate that for you, because I'm quite capable of learning anything.

I may not have the skills now, but when I'm done, I'll be able to make games with the best of you...I just hope my kids can learn a lot in the process since this is more about them than it is for me. This project has no time limit other than when we get it done. I'm not even in a hurry to get started, because I want to check out various options to see what they are capable of before I even think about the first line of code.

But, as seems to be the prevalent attitude here, "You can't do it, you're not l33t" doesn't seem to even come close to providing any answers. I guess, as always, I'm on my own. Thank you for that, the giving thanks ceremony will be short.

I do thank the people who made some suggestions, don't think I'm not grateful, or that I'll forget that you helped me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

Something like flash or unity would be great for you, both require learning yet enable fast development.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

Thanks staycrisp, that was one that was suggested in the 'Developer tools' sticky thread, right? I'm more asking what to look for in an engine or if I should make my own engine. I'm up for doing either one, and the more I learn, the better, because the more I learn, the more my kids will learn as well.

Ah well, I guess there's no better advice than experience, so I'll just follow that engine building guide and see what it takes to build one.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

View PostPwn, on 31 January 2013 - 04:40 PM, said:

You know, that's the beauty of life, you're not born with anything other than base abilities, you gain everything over time. If you're doubting my capabilities, which it more or less sounds like you are, I hate that for you, because I'm quite capable of learning anything.

I may not have the skills now, but when I'm done, I'll be able to make games with the best of you...I just hope my kids can learn a lot in the process since this is more about them than it is for me. This project has no time limit other than when we get it done. I'm not even in a hurry to get started, because I want to check out various options to see what they are capable of before I even think about the first line of code.

But, as seems to be the prevalent attitude here, "You can't do it, you're not l33t" doesn't seem to even come close to providing any answers. I guess, as always, I'm on my own. Thank you for that, the giving thanks ceremony will be short.

I do thank the people who made some suggestions, don't think I'm not grateful, or that I'll forget that you helped me.

Oh, come on. Maybe I'm jaded because I've seen so many people both on forums and in real life with the "I can make the best games ever without a second thought" attitude and actually end up doing nothing, but that is beside the point. What I am trying to get through to you here is to keep interest and enthusiasm going for game by seeing results in a reasonable amount of time.

The fact of the matter is you don't know how to write games and you need to accept that that is the current status quo, and it is going to be a while before when, or even 'if' you can. That is something that only time will tell. You want to keep the kids interested right? Well, instead of trying to prove something to yourself, think about taking them on the adventure with you on making games.
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

I wouldn't start with an engine. It's pointless, and not as much fun as actually developing games. You should look at making a game with a solid pre-made engine or tool. If it goes well and things seem like they could be getting a little more involved, you could make your own engine. But for now, seriously, don't bother.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

Oh yeah, you mean like where I mentioned that we were going through the Contruct 2 tutorial? Yes, we have already started that process and are making a 'Missile Command' clone already, just to get introduced to the process. See my first thread, I mentioned that there.

I'm not normally a smart-ass, don't get me wrong, but too many people on here don't ready my posts, and automatically assume I'm too stupid because I'm asking a generalized question about a subject. If it's not a specific code related question, then the assumptions come out.

To be honest, I'm starting to question the merit of even asking anything here, seems there's a pretty derogative attitude here. Maybe 1 in 10 will actually try to help, and 5 in 10 will help with a dash of 'you idiot' thrown in, intentional or not. Then there's the 4 in 10 who flat out insult you all the way around. I think I'm just gonna resign to being a lurker; there's some good information here, but I don't need the attitude.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

Oh my word - I swear they hand out templates of this melodrama at the door!

Look - no one is telling you that you *can't* do it. Quite the opposite, but tempered with 'you probably are not going to be making games _RIGHT NOW_ , but you can and (maybe) will when you get going'.

We are not there to know exactly what is going on. I am unclear if *you* are making a game (by yourself), if you are making a game *with* kids (of unknown age or skills background), if your kids are just doing this on *their own*, or if you are said kid with a gang of other kids.

See this background information is all pertinent to how one would center their replies. Maybe your kids are five years old. I will then suggest *NOT* getting into the actual typing code and maybe a more user friendly drag and drop interface.

I was making some large conversation leaps by inferring one way (as an assignment to the kids to make them stop using youtube), but now you are telling me that it's just you? The inferred information keeps shifting and it is becoming frustrating.

I get that can be a perception from some folk, but it really is not the issue. what people confuse as "you're not l33t" is actually people recognizing the interested party is trying to take a bite out of something they have no ability to grasp - *YET*.

How many "I have zero knowledge of programming outside of seeing a java book on my teacher's desk and I want to make some infinite player battle royal COD beater game" folks show up and are told to slow down and perhaps learning to program first. The whole 'to build a good house you need a solid foundation'. Of course those kids get all pissy and stomp off because DIC is the third forum to tell them that.

So - to bring this back around - the reason you are hostile to the answers is more than likely the confusion. Confusion on what you really are doing, the actors, end game, etc and confusion by not understanding the reasoning behind posts.

So.. the choice is up to you - either get all worked up in a huff, or start clarifying!
Was This Post Helpful? -2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

View PostPwn, on 31 January 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

Hi,

My family is planning on a family project to make a game.

So, a family project tells you nothing?

So far, we've gone through some of the Contruct 2 tutorials on gamedev.tutsplus.com as a start.

This doesn't tell you anything about where we are or even what we're trying to accomplish?

Reading some of the threads in here, such as the stickied game resource thread, I'd like to get some of your opinions on what to look for in an engine, or if we should look into making our own engine.

...and this doesn't specifically spell out what I'm looking for, asking for?

What we're planning is a spacerangers 2 (awesome game, wish it was supported on Win7+) type game, and we haven't worked out anything as of yet on how to build it, we're just learning. Main question, since it'll be a space game, should I make it 2D or 3D, and how much difference is there between 2D and 3D as far as development goes?

Again, spelled out more about my question, 2D vs 3D seems pretty engine specific to me, but then, I don't know what language you may be reading it from, maybe the English>Chinese translation wasn't very clear. I also, in a later reply, pretty much spelled out that I was guiding my kids to try to help them learn how to accomplish their goals. Growing up, I never had anybody help me with a goddamn thing, and I am trying to see that my kids won't have to have my attitude. I got to see my dad twice a year if I was lucky, and my mom worked nights, and I got to see her 10 minutes a day.

Well, before I go on a rant, I'll just say thank you and move one.

PS.

10 minutes of writing said rant omitted already.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

Never mind.. I realize I don't don't have enough cares to patiently explain things again.

Good luck with what ever you are doing with whom ever and perceiving things how ever.

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 31 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +