1 Replies - 1440 Views - Last Post: 07 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Online VS Real life education

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Hey everyone, I recently sent a support e-mail regarding my current situation and thought why not try to interact with the community and maybe get some advise from people who are experienced. Sorry for the long post.

'To whoever this message goes to. First of all greetings from Malta. I recently started looking up for online schools which provide very good standard of teaching in my desired fields. I'm currently 16 (17 next week) and always looked to learn programming and web designing. The course I go to isn't really what I was looking for, containing many subjects such as Maths/Information System/Database Design etc. which quite honestly are no where near what I was looking for. I feel uncomfortable with certain lecturers as it's obvious that they don't enjoy teaching and just want to get paid 23/h.

I was wondering whether Code School is worth it. Worth dropping what I'm currently doing. I was signed up for a BTEC certificate but the marking system is simply (Sorry to say) stupid and does not make any sense whatsoever.

Does Code School provide examinations and maybe even feedback regarding my subject?

Both of us know that today you go nowhere without certificates. Proof of your knowledge depending on the standards. BTEC is known for very high standards which is pretty much the brand name to your career proving you know what you're doing.

I'm just very skeptical whether it's worth replacing. I know I would definitely obtain MUCH more with Code School as far as knowledge and maybe find a temporary job I could possibly work online (Everything is Internet oriented nowadays) but if I were to go for a job application and simply say 'Hey, I studied everything on the internet'. S/he'd pick someone with actual papers and I don't blame them, I'd probably do the same.

Also its the dedication and motivation a certain lecturer would emit towards to a student. Online, the lecturer would have to do everything once, or maybe a few times. That once he makes sure to cover everything possible and do it with passion and it's all set, whilst at school the lecturer must repeat over and over the same things making them miss alot of stuff and once again I don't blame them but I can't generally afford that.'

Thanks,
Juxhin

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Online VS Real life education

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Online VS Real life education

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

The course I go to isn't really what I was looking for, containing many subjects such as Maths/Information System/Database Design etc. which quite honestly are no where near what I was looking for.

Universities try to encourage a broad education for many reasons, here are a few:

1) The goal of a University is to produce an educated person. While you may never use Calc in your life, I wouldn't consider someone to be educated in computer science without at least having taken calc II.

2) How do you know what you're interested in, if you're never exposed to many different things? I mean most people do not know what they actually want to do with their lives at 16, some think they do, ie, your goals and aspirations may change in time, do not cast them in stone now.

3) a broad base of learning will aid one in self-study/learning in the future. Go to University to learn how to learn.

That being said, you don't have to go to University. You don't have to do anything. Just don't be judgmental and/or unaccepting of new possibilities and/or opportunities.

... know I would definitely obtain MUCH more with Code School as far as knowledge

How do you know this? I mean from a brief examination of Code School courses, you could probably learn more with a torrent client.

comment: my first point may be overly harsh, but you get the idea.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1