4 Replies - 319 Views - Last Post: 31 January 2013 - 05:23 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

I am just getting the hang of C++

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

I am just getting the hang of C++, however, I am open to any advice that more experienced programmers may have about working with code and also about getting into the IT field. Thank you. :innocent:
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I am just getting the hang of C++

#2 BetaWar  Icon User is online

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I am just getting the hang of C++

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

Learn on your own; no I am not saying that people can't help out, or even that we won't be here to help you. What I have found in experience is that taking classes in High School or even College/University will only teach you a subset of what is out there, and for the most part it teaches to the curriculum. While that may not be a bad thing, it also leaves a TON of interesting subjects in the mystery state (or barely covered in class for one day). That said, the way I learned was to teach myself on the side. You start off trying to do something you haven't done before (creating a chat bot, or a web server, or a game, etc. etc.) and you will run into problems along the way. At that point you post what you are working on, what you have tried, and what you are having problems with on a forum such as DreamInCode and people will frequently be more than willing to spare some time to point you in either the correct direction, or at the very least specify how they would have approached the same problem.

There is a huge list of project ideas to get you started:
http://www.dreaminco...ect-ideas-list/

That is a fairly nice list of projects. Now, since you are interested in C++ (presumably), here are a few additional ideas that I have done along the road which were good learning exercises:
1. A custom String class - Replicate the functionality of c-string or c++-strings on your own. That will teach you quite a bit about how strings are created, stored, and manipulated (along with pointer arithmetic and dynamic arrays).
2. Attempt a data-compression algorithm - Using a simply huffman tree, attempt to compress and recover data. Even if you fail at actually getting it to work you will have learned a lot about trees, compression, and bit packing.
3. Create an IRC bot. We actually had a contest dealing with this (though it was open to any language). Create a bot to connect to an IRC channel (such as DIC's IRC) and have it do something interesting (at least something interesting to you). This will teach you about sockets.
4. Create a simple HTTP server capable of serving HTML/CSS/Javascript/Images/ other files. This sounds fairly simple, but it can get complicated. It teaches you about parsing text input (from HTTP requests), generating text responses, determining mime-types, sockets, threads, and file handling (though really only reading in files - but you could go further with it).
5. An OS - It will kill your soul slowly, but it will teach you about low level computer architecture and programming as well as just how much work it takes to make something work. Don't expect this one to succeed in doing much more than sitting there for a number of years :)
6. A simply calculator - Start with things like 1+1, then move to more complicated statements like 2*3/(4-5). Teaches about parsing strings and numbers.

Hopefully that makes sense.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

Thank you for the encouragement, I follow you some what I will work on those projects it just seems difficult i'm having trouble with what should be the simple projects. I haven't really had time to explore IDE yet lol I will make it I have to

Thanks again :bananaman:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 BetaWar  Icon User is online

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

The major thing to keep in mind is that you don't want to burn yourself out. Here I don't mean doing too much and getting bored of programming - if it is in your blood you simply can't escape it :) What I do mean is that you don't want to get overly frustrated and quit as a result. Start simple and work your way up. There is no reason to rush to things that are beyond your ability, so instead it is better to stick with things that you can do until you are comfortable with them (the concepts, functionality, etc.) and then move on to something new.

In that sense, you have definitely decided on one of the more challenging languages to start with; though it is not impossible to get started here (it was my first language as well).

If you do find yourself frustrated to the point of quitting, I would suggest moving over to python, or a web based system. HTML is pretty easy to learn and you can see what it does right then and there (simply refreshing the browser shows you the changes). While it isn't a programming language, it is a markup language and can help with logic. Javascript is a programming language which also runs in your web browser and can help with programming concepts (I actually got far more proficient far quicker with JS than I did with C++; NOTE - Javascript and Java are completely different languages which only share the name, nothing else).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

Thank you for the insight, I don't feel so overwhelmed now, unlike in my class where the people who respond to me (the ones who are working with c++ at work)make me feel like I should have been born with this knowledge lol. Im not going to quit :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1