2 Replies - 467 Views - Last Post: 01 February 2013 - 07:07 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Language/Engine for indie games

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:41 AM

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if some of you could tell me what is the most common programming language/ framework(c++, c#, java, XNA) and games engine(Unreal SDK, Unity 3....) used in indie game development?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Language/Engine for indie games

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Language/Engine for indie games

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:05 AM

There isn't a "common" one per say... It depends on the game, the platform, and how much code you want to write.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Language/Engine for indie games

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:07 AM

From my FAQ list

Q: What is the best programming language/OS? What programming language/OS should I learn?
A:All of them. And none of them. You might as well be asking "What is the best kind of vehicle?" Because the answer for both questions is "It depends on your needs and what personally suites you the best." C, C++, C#, Objective-C, Cocoa, F#, Visual Basic, Python, JAVA...

Are all good languages. They all have their pros and cons. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. Some have stronger footholds in some markets than others. Do you want to write for iPhone/iPad then you need Objective-C. Do you want to write for generic mobile phone use then you need JAVA. And so on. If you have no idea what area of programming you want to move to (Gaming, Financial, Windows, Macintosh, Cell phones) then nobody can advise you on a language. Personally, I would point you to C# because, like it or not, Microsoft owns the desktop computer market and C# will teach you good habits of design, OOP (Object Oriented Programming) design, inheritance and so on: Concepts that translate well to all other OOP languages.

The OS is a by-product of the type of coding you want to do, which in turn dictates the language you need, which then decides the operating system you probably need. Not the other way around.

Do you want to code apps for iOS devices like the iPad and iPhone? Then you need a Macintosh to do it right. Are you hankering to do machine vision programming? Industrial robot control? Financial applications?

What are your programming goals? Do you want to market $9.99 desktop applications to the masses? Do you want to make control systems for helicopters? XBox games requires the .NET XNA framework so you are now in Windows. Do you want to do embedded controls for automotive computers? Do you just love MS Office and love to make extensions for it? Do you want to work on web apps or desktop apps or mobile apps?

Do you now see why we can't even begin to tell you what is best for you? Only you know what you like and what you don't like. Only you know what area of programming is interesting to you. If you ask me for advice I might tell you video processing for the movie industry is great so you should get a Mac. Someone else is going to tell you cool stories of working on CSI lab equipment so you should do C embedded stuff.

The short answer for this question is: Get in touch with your own wants and needs then think for yourself.

Join these discussions on the topic:
Which coding language?
VB6 is dead
C# or C++?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1