2 Replies - 6019 Views - Last Post: 02 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

• Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock
  • member icon

• View blog

XNA Dead as Far as MS is Concerned, No More Updates

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

Microsoft has confirmed that it does not plan to release future versions of the XNA development toolset.

A blog post from developer Promit Roy earlier this week apparently detailed Microsoft's plans to fully retire the XNA Game Studio tools on April 1, 2014, while also suggesting that the future of API collection DirectX is uncertain.

The company has now further explained the situation to Polygon, assuring developers that DirectX development will continue, but stating that XNA has received its last update.

http://www.gamasutra...hp#.UQx15b88CSp

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 2
  • +

Replies To: XNA Dead as Far as MS is Concerned, No More Updates

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: XNA Dead as Far as MS is Concerned, No More Updates

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

XNA is a great platform. Microsoft always does this crap to .net developers. I wonder where this leaves xbla indie games for the next xbox.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: XNA Dead as Far as MS is Concerned, No More Updates

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

I have never used the XNA framework, but still see this as a kind of a shame as I know a lot of members here really like using XNA.

In a way a can kind of understand why Microsoft has done this - they want to steer people towards raw DirectX, but I don't agree with the way they have done it. They haven't provided any kind of information/support to existing XNA developers at all. I would think a lot of game developers who used XNA are a bit confused about it all right now. They haven't provided any real information about alternatives (well of what I've seen anyways).

DirectX on Win8 and WP8 seems to be the big new thing now though. Not sure well it will take off though.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1