4 Replies - 1559 Views - Last Post: 03 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

CE vs CS?salary range and job availability

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

When I first started thinking about colleges, I initially planned on being a CS major. Then I started tinkering with arduinos and learned that the starting salaries of CE majors are generally higher. Now I'm torn between the two, as tinkering with arduinos and the world of electrical engineering becomes more mundane, I am driven to believe that a "programming" job would be more enjoyable. Especially since the realization that a CE job would essentially encompass sitting behind a desk describing things in verilog, opposed to the "hands-on" approach I had imagined. I have no problem pursuing CE if I feel as though I will be able to obtain a good job, but much to my dismay a quick search on a couple of job listing sites reveals that a CEs salary will cap out around 80-90k, while SE jobs extend well into 500k. I am aware that the amount of SEs making this much accounts for (possibly less than) %5. But always the opportunity to land a dream job at a company such as google, where the pay will at least be 6 figures will be looming over me. Am I oblivious to opportunities as a CE, or are they really this limited?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: CE vs CS?salary range and job availability

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: CE vs CS?salary range and job availability

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

First of all I think your research on job salaries is a bit unrealistic. Both CEs and SEs can extend easily into a 6 figure income but that is also usually after several years of real world job experience for a company.

To be brutally honest, you are going to make a decent living in either field so you shouldn't be using that as a high criteria for planning out your future career. I would go with whatever you find the most fun and enjoyable because either way, if you enjoy your job it won't be seen as a job, you will be good at it most likely and will drive your worth and then the money will come.

Now if you were deciding between being a janitor and a SE then I would understand the money being a criteria, but again both jobs pay very well and you will live comfortably. So choose the one you like as well and you will be set.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

If you're in it for the money, you will fail. If you're in it for the passion, you'll find something far more valuable.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

View PostLemur, on 03 February 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

If you're in it for the money, you will fail. If you're in it for the passion, you'll find something far more valuable.

Thanks, I've been thinking long and hard and decided that pursuing a CS degree is the route for me. It will allow me to enter a field where I can apply skills I've acquired as a hobbyist to bettering my career.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

View PostIcyCode, on 03 February 2013 - 09:53 PM, said:

View PostLemur, on 03 February 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

Thanks, I've been thinking long and hard and decided that pursuing a CS degree is the route for me. It will allow me to enter a field where I can apply skills I've acquired as a hobbyist to bettering my career.

I've seen enough people get burned thinking it'll be a get rich quick thing. If you don't love what you do you'll end up in a dead end job counting down the minutes until work is over and you can go back to what you actually want to do. I'm not saying this is you, but I've seen this exact thing play out enough times that it needs to be said as a word of warning and caution to anyone who thinks that will end well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1