3 Replies - 3114 Views - Last Post: 05 February 2013 - 02:43 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

C# Application with Database

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

Before I get started, let me tell you a little bit about what I know. I'm proficient in C# and web applications and interacting with databases with it. I've built and worked on different applications in C#, so I have a grasp on what I'm doing. However, a current project that I am taking on is taking me down a different path and I have a few simple (hopefully) questions.

My project is simply a type of student information management system for a local area school. I want to develop this in C#, but I would ideally develop this as a desktop application, not a web application. This leads me to a few questions.

1. Is C# even ideal for desktop applications? I've used it extensively with web applications and the .NET framework, but never in this scenario.

2. If I did go this route, the school would have to have its own server and databases for me to connect to and use for the application, correct?

3. While developing this project, what is the best way to actually interactively test it and work with it? When building a web application, it's a simple matter of setting up a database on the localhost through WAMP, but how would this work?

Would it be ideal to make it a web application and actually run it off of the school's local server?

Hopefully these questions don't make me look as dumb as I feel and hopefully somebody can give me a kick in the right direction. I've never actually done any type of "desktop" applications.

Appreciate it.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: C# Application with Database

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: C# Application with Database

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

1 - Yes
2 - No. C# supports a database as service model wher eyou you don't have to install a dedicate server. That sort of comes built into windows.
3 - Just run the site off your R&D machine. Or you can run it off another machine if you want.

You don't look dumb. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. You just look new. Welcome to the thrilling world of software development.

My standard beginner resources post - Updated JAN 2013

Plan your study route:
There are three routes people seem to take when learning programming.
  • Just start trying to create programs
  • Start taking apart other programs and try to figure out the language by reverse engineering
  • Follow a guided learning course (school or self-teaching books)

For the life of me I can't figure out why people try 1 & 2. I strongly suggest taking the guided learning approach. Those book authors go in a certain order for a reason: They know what they're doing and they know the best order to learn the materials.

• First learn the language by working 2-5 "Learn C# in 30 days" type books cover to cover.
  • Do a dozen on-line tutorial projects where you build what you're told to build, the way you are told to build it WITH AN EXPLANATION OF WHY so you can learn.
  • Learn to plan before you type.
  • THEN you start designing software with a purpose.

I don't learn from reading books: I learn by doing.
Spoiler

Newbie/Rookie said:

I have little/no programming experience but I need to write a program by Friday that does XYZ.
Spoiler

Resources, references and suggestions for new programmers.
Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

Thank you for the response, I appreciate it. Like I said, I'm not new to programming or C#. I've written programs and web applications before, I'm just a little confused on how exactly a desktop application would interact with the database the way you're saying.

Are there any good resources you could point me to for the "database as service" that you referred to?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

Is it simply one application installed on one PC that will be used? Or will it be multiple PCs running your application who will share the same information?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1