7 Replies - 1424 Views - Last Post: 12 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

[Req.] How you learned Programming?

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

I am not coming from tech studies, But i like to learn some programming language.
i would like to know how you use programming language?
How you learn codes?should i memorize them?
what was your plan for learning.
i am looking forward to read your posts ....
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: [Req.] How you learned Programming?

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: [Req.] How you learned Programming?

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

This is just my experience based on my short time programming. Personally, I self study out of a book, at least for the time being. It's not so much about memorizing lines of particular code, but more so being able to understand what the concepts mean and how to piece them together. When I'm reading my book, I don't just read. I boot up my computer and run code myself. I tweak it. I might change the range a function covers, or how many results are displayed as a final result. I tell myself what I want and work the code until I get the desired result. As for my personal plan, I work a chapter out of a Python book every week, making a point to work a bit of code every day. I supplement my reading and coding with thenewboston videos. B)

I'm sure someone with more experience can chime in. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#3 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:48 AM

Same way you learn anything else: Ready, study, practice.

My standard beginner resources post - Updated JAN 2013

Plan your study route:
There are three routes people seem to take when learning programming.
  • Just start trying to create programs
  • Start taking apart other programs and try to figure out the language by reverse engineering
  • Follow a guided learning course (school or self-teaching books)

For the life of me I can't figure out why people try 1 & 2. I strongly suggest taking the guided learning approach. Those book authors go in a certain order for a reason: They know what they're doing and they know the best order to learn the materials.

• First learn the language by working 2-5 "Learn C# in 30 days" type books cover to cover.
  • Do a dozen on-line tutorial projects where you build what you're told to build, the way you are told to build it WITH AN EXPLANATION OF WHY so you can learn.
  • Learn to plan before you type.
  • THEN you start designing software with a purpose.

I don't learn from reading books: I learn by doing.
Spoiler

Newbie/Rookie said:

I have little/no programming experience but I need to write a program by Friday that does XYZ.
Spoiler

Resources, references and suggestions for new programmers.
Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#4 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:46 AM

And there is a certain point where the "study and practice" includes looking and poking at code in your book, but also looking and poking at code that exists out in the world. When you start looking at other people's code, you start to see and learn other ways of approaching problems. Some of them are good, some of them are bad. It'll be up to you to make an analysis of what works well with your way of thinking, as well as what is appropriate for the programming language(s) of choice.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

I'm still learning from books, tutorials and video series. Kinda hard to find good quality stuff when you are in the first steps.

It all depends on the way you learn stuff,if you are a visual learner go and get a good video series or if you prefer to read get a good beginner book
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:34 AM

How I learned:

Reading loads of tutorials and books on the languages I was learning for a couple of hours a day (still doing this 3 years later even though I'm programming for a living).

How I'd advise you learn:

Get the basics down (if statements, arrays, loops etc), then read up on one intermediate concept a day (inheritance, polymorphism, memory management etc). Then before moving to another concept, write loads of programs that utilize that concept until you are 100% confident that you understand it.
Then the next day, move onto the next concept. Rinse and repeat.

If I could go back, I would have done it this way.

Oh and learn how to google effectively, it's no good searching for something, then giving up once you've gone through the first page of search results.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:07 AM

In my opinion the best way for me to learn programming is to watch online video tutorials and at the same time trying it. I look for video tutorials on youtube and when I don't know what's the function of a code I do a research.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

@enzomar2 I had that same preference, but then I got bored or desperate on watching a guy typing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1